During surfing on the World wide web I found this site.

I'm a member of Scouting Netherlands for more than 30 years. My husband and children are members too.

We will visit USA this summer during July an August.

I've posted a question about the summercamps.

I'm a member of the Dr. Arins-Buettegroep in Deventer (city in the eastern part of the Netherlands. This year our new clubroom will be finished, we are rebuilding it after a idiot has put on fire in 2003.

This year ou group excist 60 years. We will have a lot of festivities.

Our website is www.ariens-buette.nl But it's in Dutch, but with a lot of pictures wich give you a idea of our group. If you have questions you always can ask me.

Monique Huisman

Scouting Dr. Ariens-Buettegroep Deventer

Hello repelsteeltje - welcome to the forums. I took a look at some of the pictures on your website. It seems Scouts will be Scouts no matter where they are from - having good times together.

I also noticed that your groups seem to have boys and girls together at all age levels. Is this true? Our organization (USA) is for boys only in Cubscouts and in Boy Scout Troops. We do have coed Units called Venture Crews for boys and girls aged 14-21.

Looking forward to reading your posts and learning more about Scouting in Holland.

In Holland most of the scout groups have boys and girls together. We have different age groups:

1) bevers : boys and girls 5-7 years

2) esta : boys and girls 7-11 years

3)scouts: boys and girls 11-15

4) rowans and sherpa's: boys and girls 15-18

5) pivo: boys and girls 18 and older.

The mixed groups give no problems. Even in the sub groups within the individual groups the are mixed up. Even during summercamps. There is a great as we call "social control"within the group so there are no probles at all.

In the pictures you've seen the ages were mixed because some writes from the newspaper and a tv station came that day for writing about our new clubroom. After the fire we got a lot of attention from the media. In Holland every month there is some where a fire in a clubroom, fired by unnown people. Where scoutinggroup lose everithing they have(tents etc)

Monique

Hello and Welcome.

When I was active as a Scout Leader back in the UK,the Scout Centre Rotterdam was a favorite of our Scouts for summer camp.

I made a lot of good friends and we had a Dutch Troop come over and camp with us several times.

Our Scouts got to be fairly good at making poffertjes and stroopwafels.

A very good friend has a country house that he uses at weekends in Zealand. We took our Patrol leaders over for Easter one year. It wasn't very warm. In fact it was wet and windy, but there was a kind of wildness about it that was wonderful. At one time I had thought it would be a wonderful place to spend my retirement.

All of our Scouts loved the Maduradam

(The Maduradam is a miniature version of Holland kind of like a miniature village, but it shows the entire country)

Of course all the Scouts came home with clogs, I can't remember the name of the clog makers we visited.

We also visited the Kinderdijk and the windmills and took the tour.

I arrived home with about a years supply of real dutch cheese.

I'm thinking of maybe finding out if we can link up with some Dutch Sea Scouts. I know that Sea Scouts make up a big percentage of Dutch Scouts.

Eamonn.

Your new Scout building looks wonderful!!

(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

ay-up from the UK.

If yo want to translate that website into english, highlight the website address, right click on copy, then go to http://www.altavista.com click on the translate link, then delete the http:// bit from the box , right click on copy and then select translate from Dutch to english via the drop down boxes.

you should get a rough translation from that.