Sight Seeing boats and Ferries

Over the weekend I filled in at the last minute for my daughters GS Troop to Niagara Falls and a lock-in at the Aquarium there.

(A great trip for Junior GS or Bears and WEBELOS.)

The girls wanted to go on the Maid of the Mist tour but the local GS council said Not Approved Activity as everyone doesnt wear PFDs and the council cant get proof that the boats are inspected every year.

I did think it was funny that they could ride the 60MPH Jetboats through the rapids as everyone does wear PFDs and they did have proof of yearly inspections.

I was looking at the G2SS and if followed, a Pack, Troop or Crew couldnt ride the Maid of the Mist boats either.

Is there a section in the G2SS I missed about large vessels such as ferries, SightSeeing boats or the large boats for Whale Watching as you dont wear PFDs on most of these either.

Didnt a Scout drown a few years ago after fooling around and falling overboard Whale Watching?

It didnt sound like he was wearing a PFD.

How did this activity get approved if you need to wear PFDs on all boating activities?

CNY - funny you should ask about this - I was just thinking about the same thing this morning.

We have our Troop's annual planning weekend coming up, and last year as a treat the guys got to work on water skiing and motor boating merit badges for one afternoon.

Everyone very excited until I told them that they all had to wear PFDs at all times on the boats.

I was told quite loudly and in front of the Scouts by the Dad who was operating one of the boats that it was ridiculous to require the Scouts to wear PFDs since our local regulations do not require them for boats more than 16' in length. But, G2SS says wear 'em so the Scouts had the option - get on the boat and wear it, or stay on the shore.

So, in case this situation ever comes up again (this year we are doing canoes - no question or option about the PFDs), I too would like to know if there is a size requirements for boats. What about slow moving pontoons? Ferries?

The G2SS states:

"Properly fitted U.S. Coast Guard-approved personal flotation devices (PFDs) must be worn by all persons engaged in activity on the open water (rowing, canoeing, sailing, boardsailing, motorboating, waterskiing, rafting, tubing, and kayaking)."

It further states,

"Note: For cruising vessels (excluding rowboats, canoes, kayaks, and rafts, but including sailboats and powerboats greater than 20 feet long) used in adult-supervised unit activities by a chartered Venturing crew/ship specializing in watercraft operations, or used in adult-supervised program activity in connection with any high-adventure program or other activity under the direct sponsorship and control of the National Council, the standards and procedures in the Sea Scout Manual may be substituted for the Safety Afloat standards."

Not having a Sea Scout Manual, I don't know what it says. Perhaps Skipper Eamonn can help.

Looks like our troop will have to cancel it's trip to Europe on the QE2, since it's a "motorboat". I'd feel kinda silly going to dinner at the Captain's Table wearing my USCG approved PFD over my tux.

Seriously, though, here is another "gray area" which the G2SS does not adequately address. I would have a chat with my SE about the planned event, and hopefully the "reasonable man" rule can apply.

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines is offering a "Merit Badge Cruise" next summer leaving from Port Canaveral and cruising thru the Bahamas, with merit badges offered for scouts. Do they have to wear PFD's while on board?

I think folks are reading more into the G2SS than is there. Under the Transportation section of the G2SS, under boats it states:

"For regulations that govern cruises by private powerboat or sailboat, refer to Motorboat Regulations, published by the U.S. Coast Guard."

As a passenger on a boat operated by a private operator, US Coast Guard regulations apply and as noted above, while PFDs are certainly recommended in many instances on smaller vessels, there is no requirement to wear PFDs on a cruise boat, or passenger ferry. The vessel must have them available for all passengers in case of an emergency.

Now how can I get to be a MB counselor on that MB cruise to the Bahamas? Sounds like a great opportunity to volunteer to serve scouting youth of this fine country. Of course such charitable volunteer work is tax deductible.

And I don't believe scouting ducks are required to wear PFDs either.

SA(This message has been edited by scoutingagain)

My daughters just got back from a 2 1/2 week high adventure trip with the Venturing Crew sponsored by the Boy Scout Office and they went on a Rhine Cruise while in Germany and my daughters said they Did NOT wear life jackets but saw the life rings as they boarded the boat. Also 2 years ago they went on a Hovercraft going from Finland to Istonia and they did't wear them either. BUT whenever doing any activities the most strict safety regulations are always abided by. We had a activity at a personal home and the homeowner was asked to take down there 3 feet above ground pool to be on the safe side. At the time I personally thought that was going a little to far, we could have just told these high school and college students NO SWIMMING.