• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it can't be described as trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, curtious, kind...it shouldn't be included in a unit's summer camp program.

I find it hard to see how anything that can be described as a "prank", even a so-called harmless one, fits the description above.

I do see room for "initiations" that involve a shared challenge and or positive recognition of some kind for new scouts. However, I don't see how a "prank" would fit in.

SA

In the old days an OA candidate may have had his shirt opened (or removed) and a red arrow painted on his chest, using oil paint. It could easily be removed. But this apparently caused enough embarrassment and enough humiliation to enough scouts that it is no longer done. Same with the three hard blows to the shoulder.  If a scout today purposefully caused bruising on another childs body, it would be big trouble

When I was called-out in the OA (1976), all Scouts went to the ceremony with their shirts already removed.  This was not an option; it was required.  I dont recall any embarrassment by the Scouts or any complaining that we had to be bare-chested.  The three hard blows to the shoulders were nothing compared to the thrill of being selected to the OA.  It was an honor and we stood up to it.  The blows to the shoulders were really slaps and stung a little bit but there was no harm done.  Bruising?  The slaps left some temporary red marks but no one complained; it was badge of honor.  Regardless of your opinion, we did not consider this hazing but a well regarded, well-controlled, safe, and traditional OA ceremony in 1976.  Everyone had a great time and had good memories.

Yes, today is different.  Its a day of frivolous lawsuits.  I highly suspect this is why the above OA ceremony is no longer done. 

I'm told by our OA that they can't even tap (lightly touch) a person on the shoulder anymore - no touching permitted. So now it's a "call-out" ceremony.

What a shame. How pathetic.

I refuse to be PC just for the sake of being CP.

In my day (late 70s), our lodge used arrows to tap you out with. A few of them would break during the ceremony. That was a special badge of honor to say they broke one over your shoulder... Yes, the "call out" ceremonies of today are not near as colorful as those of our era. And I do believe it has diminished some of the mystique of the OA.

• 1 month later...

My husband is the SM for our Troop when it goes up to Mackinaw Island for a week of service. There are very firm LAWS about hazing. You cannot tell a boy to do anything that is not part of the normal duty for which they signed up. In otherwords, we can make them salute the flag pole. but not for more time than they would normally salute. We cannot make them do KP. (for our troop at Mackinaw, the boys don't do kitchen work) We can give them the choice of KP or going home. We cannot make them scrub with a tooth brush, but they can be required to clean (that is a normal part of the service week). They can be made to stand at attention, since that is part of the week. We can ask them to sing, or dance, but cannot tell them to do so.

I am in the middle of WB. THe first day someone left their hat and staff was going to make them sing. My husband spoke up and said that it wasn't allowed (it wasn't my husband that lost the hat). The said "oh but it's a tradition" He replied that it is against the law to make someone sing, you can only ask... and he sited that the reason he knows is from Mackinaw. He even offered that if he was asked to sing he would (it would scare everyone!) but you Must ask, not demand. THey replied "hey, we're all adults" BUt as my husband said, we were at training to learn how to be better leaders, so we shouldn't be doing things that were wrong.

At our summer camp we came up with nicknames for the boys. One was Mama's boy (my son) others were Lost (he was always losing things) and Drama Queen (even his dad said it was appropriate). The one thing we were careful about is that the boy had a right to refuse the name, all boys had nick names and even the adult leaders had nick names. (I'm short and sassy) It ended up being a bonding thing. BUt they had the right to refuse. One boy did refuse and it was fine with the rest.

The boys did do a snipe hunt, but again they could refuse. They are still laughing about the whole thing. It is all in how it is handled and that there is no problem with someone refusing.

Mama Bear

Mama Bear,

While I don't think hazing is proper, I'm a little confused by what is & isn't allowed at Mackinaw Island. It sounds like the Scouts don't have to do anything they don't want to do. Who made these laws? Was your husband's WB course held at Mackinaw Island? Is this where you attend summer camp? If not, why do the laws from Mackinaw Island apply anywhere but Mackinaw Island?

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/snipe

NOUN: pl. snipe or snipes

1)Any of various long-billed shore birds of the genus Gallinago or Capella, related to the woodcocks and sandpipers, especially the common, widely distributed species G. gallinago or C. gallinago. Any of various similar or related birds.

2)A shot, especially a gunshot, from a concealed place.

intr.v. sniped , sniping , snipes

To shoot at individuals from a concealed place. To shoot snipe. To make malicious, underhand remarks or attacks.

I was taught to only play jokes on people you like that way all know it is for fun not meanness. I have had many played on me and I still fall for them - hook, line, and sinker!   ;)

Kids will always play jokes. Set some ground rules and tell them to think long and hard before doing anything.