So what are you reading?

This summer I am reading 'Horses for dummies' :)

I would suggest

'Flags of our Fathers' by James Bradley....It's about the flag raisers of Iwo Jima, great book!

OR

'Crow Killer: The saga of Liver-Eating John Johnson' by Raymond W. Thorp & Robert Bunker.... It's the true story of a Mountain Man from about 150's ago. Very Interesting book, not an easy read though. A bit controversial but well worth the read, not too long either. Very exciting too, made me want to go to the rockies and live in a cabin :)

This summer I am reading 'Horses for dummies' :)

I would suggest

'Flags of our Fathers' by James Bradley....It's about the flag raisers of Iwo Jima, great book!

OR

'Crow Killer: The saga of Liver-Eating John Johnson' by Raymond W. Thorp & Robert Bunker.... It's the true story of a Mountain Man from about 150's ago. Very Interesting book, not an easy read though. A bit controversial but well worth the read, not too long either. Very exciting too, made me want to go to the rockies and live in a cabin :)

I'm currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo for the umpteenth time, as well as the Hitchhikers Guide trilogy (again). Yes, I'm one of "those"....I read the same books over and over....its like visiting old friends. I'll check here often for new suggestions though.

YiS

Michelle

I had intended reading the other books that Dan Brown wrote, but I bought them and read them.

I've been brushing up on my Leave No Trace so am nearly done with the Back Packers Guide to Leave No Trace.

As a rule I stop in at Barnes and Nobel and hit the marked down books. The other week they had 3 for $10.00.

msnowman

I do much the same thing reading the same books over and over. Every time I re-read anything by Dickens I find something I missed.

Eamonn

Seton's Book of Woodcraft and Indian Lore (A 1920 something edition I got off ebay in a set along with Two Little Savages (which every Scouter should read) Rolf in the Woods and a few others)

Philosophy Of Humanism - Corliss Lamont (Which every Christain should read if they really care to know what secular humanism is)

Have great Summer and Be safe

CC

Biography of George Washington ( I forget the official title ).

Earlier this year I finished the Ben Franklin biography - very interesting guy, that Ben!

I also read my Outside and Backpacker magazines over and over...

fyi - I've read Shogun, by James Clavell, 3 different times and got something new out of it each time. Its quite a long and complicated story, but extremely engaging and interesting.

As for non-fiction:

"The Moon by Whaleligt" by Diane Ackerman

"The Universe and the Teacup" By K.C. Cole

I'm trying to get up the nerve to read the recent books on global epidemiology (I think one is called "Virus Hunter"? But I'm afraid they'll give me nightmares.

As for fiction:

"Redwall" by Brian Jacques (out loud with my kids)

"Kim" by R. Kipling

Anything I can find by Terry Pratchet

"Size 12 Is Not Fat" by Meg Cabot (great poolside reading)

I'm open to suggestions, too! This is a thread I'll keep checking.

Speaking of Lewis & Clarke, I really enjoyed "Undaunted Courage," "1776" was good too.

I'm going to summer camp with my son and the troop tomorrow morning so I'm in the same predicament.

Eamonn, I know you've already read "everything" Grisham has written but I finally got around to reading, "The Firm" last month. What a great novel.

I just started reading James Patterson's new book about Maximum and her flock. It's the sequel to "Maximum Ride" and picks up right where the first left off. They both are fleeting, unrealistic, yet fun.

Adios,

SWScouter

If you want to be scared to death, read the "Cobra Event", about a bioterror event. Everything in it is medically feasible, and it will make you realize how unprepared we are.

"Angels and Demons"

"The DaVinci Code"

"Blind Man's Bluff"

"The Terrible Hours"

"The Radioactive Boy Scout"