When can a boyscout be a asst or patrol leader??

When my sons Webelos group moved to boyscouts the group was split up so that each patrol was half older scouts and half new scouts.

The older scouts took all the leadeship positions and became the "bosses" of the younger scouts.

Is this normal???

Bill,

Could be normal for your troop. There is a thing called the New Scout Patrol which is designed to prevent the exact scenario you describe. Its not used by all troops and apparently not by yours. In troops using the NSP method patrol leaders are often rotated until each member has a chance to fill the position and experience the responsibilities. After that a permanent PL is elected. To answer your initial question Id have to know more about how your troop is run. Who decided the make up of the patrols the PLC or an adult or group of adults? If your son is to remain a member of his current patrol for an extended period he may never get to be PL .

LongHaul

Normal? It can be; it all depends on the troop. Is the way the patrol is supposed to work? No.

"The members of each patrol elect one of their own to serve as patrol leader. The troop determines the requirements for patrol leaders, such as rank and age. To give more youths the opportunity to lead, most troops elect patrol leaders twice a year. Some may have elections more often."

What seems to be missing in your description is the election process. It is my experience that the troops that do not use the patrol method, allowing Scouts to elect their PLs (within the troop guidlines in respect to rank and age), tend to be those that are not boy-led. Here is a link that can give you a better understanding of the patrol method:

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/18-800/index.html

"Normally", (ideally?, properly?), according to the book, the patrol leader is elected by the members of the patrol. The PL then appoints an assistant PL, and possibly other patrol positions such as patrol quartermaster, grubmaster, cheermaster, etc.

The troop senior patrol leader is elected by all the members of troop. The SPL appoints an assistant SPL, and various other troop level postions such as scribe, historian, quartermaster, librarian, etc.

Not all patrols and troops will utilize all these postions.

The Scoutmaster Handbook has a good discussion on troop and patrol leadership postions.

Bill, Your last question "Is this normal???" would probably be easy to answer if there was a 'normal".

I hope that the older boys don't just boss the younger scouts because that would be setting an example for these new boy scounts on how to act when they are no longer the youngest. If they are not teaching skills then maybe it is time for the SPL and his ASPL to consider some changes. It may be that they have always done it this way and they don't realize it can be different.

I would advise you ask the SM if that is normal for your troop. Then maybe you get some information from him on how this will help you son and the other new scouts. If they are to learn by example is this the example they should be learning from?

I my experience when younger scouts are put into an existing patrol with older scouts, the reason is for them to learn from the older scouts. There is usually some bossing, but if a word from the SPL to the PL doesn't get things going in the right direction then it may be the "normal".

When you say "took" the leadership postions does that mean there was no vote for PL. In a mixed group it is usually an older scout who gets voted as the PL. Sometimes the younger scouts are in awe of a scout who has been with the troop and seems to know everybody. Good Luck .

Bill,

Sounds like your son's troop uses mixed age patrols right from the beginning. This isn't necessarily bad at all. With a little luck, they have a spirit of welcoming the new guys like younger brothers and your son will benefit from working and learning from older guys who already know the ropes. It's normal for the older, more experienced guys to be the leaders and, indeed, it's preferable. Can you imagine the chaos if one of the brand new guys was put in charge of a group (patrol) containing several boys with several years of experience? That would be a very challenging leadership position - and probably very frustrating for the new guy. This even holds true for Asst PL, because APL's the one in charge when PL has a conflict and can't make a meeting or campount.

But don't be mistaken - every member of a patrol has a job - even if it's merely to be a responsible, active patrol member right now. For the first year, your son and his buddies will have their hands full working on their fundamental scout skills and earning their way toward First Class. Next spring, your son and his buds will be some of the older guys when a new crop of incoming Webs join up. Then your son's group will be able to shine as they help the new "new guys" learn the ropes.

Your son's time to lead will come when he's ready. It's really best if he has a chance to solidify his basic scout skills and gain the respect of his fellow scouts before he is elevated to a leadership position. By "best," I mean your son is more likely to have a positive experience and be ready to grow in preparation for the next level and its associated challenges.

For now, let him enjoy the ride!

You people are great. I was getting concerned for a minute but I guess we're doing alright. I got the idea that the new scout patrol was the standard not an option.

Should the new scouts have the option of selecting which patrol they are in ???

Again , many thanks

Bill_Draving,

Mike F is right on the beam!

Relax a bit an sniff out the lay of the land. More important than the PoRs (positions of responsiblity) right now is your son settling in to scouting, getting to summer camp for his "brown sea program" and beginning to work on skills and rank advancement...learning the ropes so to speak...

In many cases, his hard work in scouting areas and being a team member (remember to have a chief you need a bunch of indians)will go a long way to his rising to the top of the leadership pool. Boys are not supid...they see the guys who learn and then turn around and teach others-as leaders, sometimes before we even pick up on it.

good scouting

TRA

anarchist