what to give the scouts in your life?

I'm borrowing Eamonn's thread and changing it a little. What are your favorite scouting gifts to give?

I've got 2 boys to find gifts for. My 14 yo cousin is going to Philmont in the summer and is asking for scout stuff related to that trip. He is already well equipped in terms of basic gear (he's been very active in scouts for 3 years and his troop does a lot of camping) but maybe there's something he might need especially for Philmont. My 11 yo son is just doing the regular troop stuff. Any thoughts on some neat little thing every scout should have?

Lisa'bob

A good old bobwhite too!

When my son's were Webs II and getting ready to join a Troop, Santa thoughtfully filled their stockings with small Scout items: compass, pocket knife, fire spark, handbook. Over the years each has received larger Scout gear: backpack, cold weather sleeping bag, and so on. Usually these were items they saw and read about in Boy's Life Magazine.

Regarding Philmont, a couple of Scouts I know who went to Philmont said that hiking poles were very useful. Don't know where you'd find them, but I'm sure a good outdoor outfitter would have them.

Recreational Equipment Incorporated is always a good source of stuff.

www.rei.com

Good gear is a blessing. I've also given my son his red Scout jacket. Last year, his grandparents gave him his Venturing uniform (less the gray pants; we found equivalent from Columbia for less than half the price).

For two years from now, the OA Trail Crew trek is a great Philmont expedition and service project, and the price cannot be beat!!!

If he's into cooking, camp cookery gear ... and real lessons in cooking. I'm still amazed Cooking was dropped from the Eagle list all those years ago. It's an essential male skill, especially if the male in question is unmarried.

If you get a chance to go to PTC, consider taking the cousin along for the things they do there. 11-14 year olds do cool things like they would at a Scout camp. Above 14, and there is a special one week trek for them.

I don't know if your troop does winter camping or not, nor how cold that is for you, but how about something like Non-metal cup/flatwear/mess kit like suddenly has appeared on Nephew's list? His troop will be doing a Chillout in February with a practice run in January. It gets a bit chilly in Maine in Febrrrrruary, so we are learning what things he needs and just realized about the metal eating gear he has.

YiS

Michelle

Tents

Backpacks

Sleeping bags

Lanterns, flashlights

Knives, whetstones

Compass, whistle, fanny packs

Camp chairs

Long underwear, fleece tops, wool socks

Gloves, knit hats

Mess kit, cup, eating utensils

This year, a dutch oven is wished for as well as a Leatherman tool. Birthdays and Christmas are super times for camping gear. My hope is that as merit badges are worked on, that leather working tools, tools, and other items will be added as interest is shown in specific areas.

Oh, and slides and belts, which are often lost, get replaced thanks to Santa. Field guides, the Field Book, binoculars, cycling gear.(This message has been edited by bbng)

what to give the scouts in your life?

a lot of love,

a lot of encouragement,

a lot of respect,

a lot of support,

a lot of time,

a lot of distance,

a lot of chances,

a lot of room to grow,

a lot of trust,

and a lot of space!

;)

Other than that ... I usually give my boys what they ask of Santa.

1Hour

Backpacks are good; Camelbaks too!

I'm looking at a new daypack whether with a Camelbak system built in or not. The Camelbak packs are a little on the expensive side though.

A new helmet for rappelling. I have a helmet, but it is two years old so I'm going to need a new one in the near future.

I could go on and on, but I won't;)

One thing I would consider is giving money or giving gift certificates. I for one like to choose my equipment because what I like another person might not. Either that, or ask them specifically what they want.

Camping gear should be comfortable and should be exactly what the consumer who is going to use it in the backwoods is looking for in a specific piece of gear.

Some ideas:

>River Rock LED Lantern, $20 from Target (very cool!, very well built)

>River Rock 2AAA 0.5W LED Flashlight, $10 from Target (very well built flashlight!!)

>Princeton Tec EOS headlamp, $31 from brightguys.com (probably the best headlamp available right now)

>Underwater Kinetics 4AA eLED w/ switch flashlight, $26 from brightguys.com (10 hours of bright light plus 80 hours of diminishing light!!!)

>StayGlow Victorinox Swiss Army Climber Knife, $29 from knifecenter.com (bright yellow by day, actually glows in the dark at night - very cool!, funky enought that a boy would be fine w/ a yellow knife)

>KA-BAR/Dozier KA4066 3" Folding Spear Knife, $20 from knifecenter.com (GREAT knife for the cost, maybe best deal in knives today)

>GSI Outdoors Lexan 1-Person Tableware Set, $14 from Campmor.com (plate, bowl, knife, fork, spoon, cup)

>Therm-a-Rest Camplite Long Self-Inflating Mattress, on sale at $50 from Campmor.com

>Doug Ritter Personal Survival Pak, $25 from Campmor.com (EVERY outdoorsman should have one - read about it and a lot of other good info at equipped.org)

>MSR SimmerLite stove, $100 from campmor.com

>Magfire standard fire starter (sparker), $10 from magfireusa.com

>Book: "98.6 Degrees - The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive" by Cody Lundin, $12 from Amazon.com (very informative interesting read about building a survival kit and staying alive when things go wrong)

I went to Philmont in 1979. It rained everyday once we left base camp. Needless to say our scout poncho's did not do the job well enough. So I would suggest a good quality rain suit. After 11 days of wearing wet clothes, you realize how important that area is overlooked.