If I put on my way back hat, I vaguely remember going to a Scout-O-Rama when I was a Cub in the mid-60's. I remember that it was indoors at the fairgrounds in Oklahoma City and there was a pioneering tower built as a centerpiece. I also remember getting a patch. I quit as a Webelos in probably 1967 and didn't become active again until about 3 years ago. Somewhere in between 1967 and now, our council quit doing Scout-O-Ramas. I have no idea when. Does your council or district still do a Scout-O-Rama and how successful are they? I'd like to here a few details of the activities, venue and attendance.

Our council has not done a Scout-a-Rama for at least 9-10 years. If I remember correctly it was open to the public & sale of the tickets were a council/unit fundraiser. There were various booths that showcased Boy/Cub Scout skills.

Grand Canyon Council will be having it's annual Scout-O-Rama, Nov. 12 this year. I think it will be the 51st or 52nd annual SOR. There won't be one in 2006 though since the council is moving SOR from the Fall to the Spring; the next will be spring 2007.

It is a pain immediately going from SOR ticket sales to popcorn sales. I don't know if that has anything to do with switching.

SWScouter

Aloha Council has one of the oldest Scouting expos in the country. It's called Makahiki (means something like "annual") and held at a convention center downtown. Lots of units participate and lots of people come out to see it, although I imagine most are parents and family of Scouts. All kinds of booths: games, monkey bridges, Hawaiian food making, merit badges, a huge Pinewood Derby venue. It's a lot of fun and a pretty good fundraiser.

One of my earliest Scouting memories was attending and working in our Pack's Scout-O-Rama booth back in the late 50's. Our council had a SOR every year till about 6 years ago. I served as chairman the last two years. It was held at a National Guard Armory and we had units set up booths both inside and outside (Their preference). It was a lot of work, but we made a profit of over $10,000 the last year, and had a committee willing to run it again, but our council leaders, in their infinite wisdom, killed it for no apparent reason other than "We need some new ideas". We are still waiting for those new ideas. I always like the SOR, because it was one of the few events that brought units together from throughout the council, showed off Scouting to the public, and helped Scouters get ideas from other units.