Aims, Methods - Am I missing something?

Have been an advocate of the aims(3) and methods(8) of Scouting and try my best to live up to the program. Was on the BSA website this morning looking up some other things and lo and behold, I find that there are only seven (7) methods! What happened to Adult Association? Was there a change somewhere along the line that I missed? Somebody please help me out.

This is strange. I would think that a change in the Methods would warrant significant communication - not just a deleted paragraph on a website. And why would you remove it? I think it's equally important and one of the great aspects of scouting.

Has anyone else heard anything about it?

The methods have not been changed. There are two pages. One is current, one is from the older web site format and it has an error on it. A Scout is Helpful. Drop a line to the Web master and let them know of the error. Someone merely mistyped the fact sheet, besides it is now outdated and needs to be removed.

Adult Association is still a method of the Boy Scout program as shown on the current page.

http://www.scouting.org/factsheets/02-503.html

Thanks BW, that's what I was thinking . . . will make the contact.

The problem for me was that this became apparent during a discussion of Scouting program delivery (Aims and Methods). In my ever so succinct manner I was pointing out that if one doesn't even know the Vision, Mission, 3 Aims and 8 Methods, how can one deliver the promise? The quick retort was that if I really knew what I was talking about I would know that "there are 7, not 8, methods - the BSA website shows 7, not 8". I could recite the 8 that I knew, but since the person I was having this discussion with could not recall what 7 there were on his list, I looked it up myself on the website. Then I looked it up in at least a dozen other places, before I felt comfortable with the assumption that the web page was not correct.

Thanks Bob.

OGE. I agree with the "it must be true, I saw it on the Internet" syndrome. But, when you see something on the official BSA site, linked off of the main menu (not hidden or found in a search), it makes you scratch your head and think "how'd they overlook that?".

Eagle 74

We have seen evidence on the forum of scout leaders who have overlooked things that have been in the Handbooks for DECADES, is it so hard to imagine that one paragraph on one page out of hundreds of pages could be overlooked?(This message has been edited by Bob White)

OK, so I want to do the right thing - let somebody know there is an (honest) error on the national website. As BW said, "drop a line to the webmaster". Easier said than done. Have come to the realization that if there is a webmaster (there must be one) there is no contact information that I can find. For that matter, there's no contact info at all - at least not that I can find. Sooooo, I guess the old-fashioned landline phone or snail-mail will have to do. On a take-off of one of my favorite movie quotes, 'What we have here is a failure (of the ability) to communicate (in an efficient manner)'.

"As BW said, "drop a line to the webmaster". Easier said than done."

Actually it is done about as easy as it is said. The address to write to is at the bottom of the home page.

Boy Scouts of America, National Council P.O. Box 152079 Irving, Texas 75015-2079

Simply address your note to the Scouting.org webmaster

I didn't believe there was no way to e-mail the webmaster until I looked for myself. There doesn't seem to be any way to contact anybody at National by e-mail at all. I suppose you could try e-mailing to webmaster@scouting.org and see what happens--that will often work.