should you fire an SPL

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reply to the last three replies... in reverse order!

3. As a concerned leader in this Scout's home troop, let me mention, the committee has no say in this matter, it's strictly an SM decision by National guidelines. The committee can however remove a Scoutmaster who is negligent or not performing to their expectations. That is their recourse.

2. The Scout has a record of creating problems. The Scout however shows leadership abilities but slips up on leadership qualities. He has shown that he can be an excellent Scout for a period of time and then make an exceptionally bad choice. The previous SM had him on the carpet to remove him from the troop. The current SM had him on the carpet to remove him from the troop. There is pressure from some parents to have him removed or demoted or they will move to another troop. Since these problems he was elected SPL. I for one recognize his abilities and made a conscious decision to work with him despite the objections from some parents (and Scouts). At the moment the Scout is at the local Scout camp taking National Youth Leadership Training. Ironically the staff has recognized his leadership abilities and are considering him return to return as an instructor. This youth is a born leader, good or bad!

1. The big problem here is the younger Scouts who were not able to attend the National Jamboree, camped nearby and visited the Jamboree. Some of the Jamboree contingent troop Scouts (including this SPL) were signed off the Jamboree bus before returning home to join the younger Scouts and their families and siblings for several more days of camping. The story of this theft incident is well embedded into the the entire troop of boys, young and old. They all know that their SPL stole patches, outright or by deception and led a band of others to accomplish this. OUCH!

The resolution as I am seeing it from here is...

The Scout and his "gang" were all punished, good bad or indifferent according to the guidelines established for a troop PLC. There will be no double jeopardy punishment doled out by his home troop. This was made clear when he rejoined his home troop.

The SPL needs to prepare a statement to the Scouts of the troop. He needs to tell them exactly what happened, what was wrong with what happened and his plan to prevent it from happening again. They need to know that he is willing to correct his ways and re-establish their trust.

The SPL needs to draw up a contract. This contract will be between him and the Scouts in his charge as well as the SM. This contract will need to stipulate that this youth leader will need to lead by example and that this example will need to be exemplary, squeeky clean and Scoutlike. There will need to be a zero tolerance for unScoutlike behaviour. If the SPL does not uphold the contract he will need to step down with the understanding that the SPL must lead by example and must be trustworthy. Without those attributes the leadership position is worthless to the other Scouts. I'm hoping this SPL will meet these challenges and obligations. I also expect the other adult leaders, committee and parents to support the SM and SPL in this endeaver.

Every Scout is different. Some are more challenging than others. The brightest Scouts are usually the most difficult but then again they often have the most to contribute to the troop when the day is done.

Yours in Scouting,

A concerned leader

Wow. I feel both frustrated and exhilarated by this and I am NOT a part of this boys troop :)

I do have couple of questions though.

1. As I understand it, this scout has a history of bad decisions dating back to his days as a Cub. I assume that his fellow scouts are aware of at least some of this behavior as he has been "on the carpet" for potential removal from the TROOP at least twice before. Yet, his peers still elect him as SPL?

2. While it seems that these poor decisions have been repetitive for awhile they are not continuous. He apparently does make some good decisions and elicit some good leadership qualities. Is that right?

We, as leaders, are charged with upholding the Scout Law and pointing our scouts down that path. As mentioned, everyone makes mistakes. And we have to keep that in mind and understand our limits in leading these boys. While there is certainly a long history, I would ask myself if this boy elicits some of that model behavior or is he just an all around problem child that other boys gravitate towards.

I said I feel frustrated because I know how it is to deal with boys that are perennial problems. Most of my experiences are with those that are just royal pains and troublemakers, not someone with very visible potential. I feel exhilarated because this presents itself as a wonderful opportunity to shape a boy into a man. I agree with pjzedalis. I think that the best thing for this boy is to have a mentor. It is clear to me that this boy has, among other things, leadership skills. Those on many levels from his peers to those at National level recognize this. This is not to say that a decision to at least demote him from his SPL duties isn't warranted but certainly don't give up on him.

I would tend to believe that if you continue your efforts to push this boy down the proper path, your efforts will bear fruit. Maybe not until after he leaves you, and probably not without other "detours", but it will.

Hunt, it is difficult for me as well when comparing this situation with the boy who drinks. With the boy who drinks, it isn't so much that particular act, as serious as it is, but more so the idea that he wants to leave the scouting organization as soon as he get his Eagle, seemingly to take the booty and run. This boy is making some mistakes that can be seen as equally as serious but it seems that scouting leaders are better suited to encourage a change in behavior here than with the drinking issue. And at least this boy doesn't have his parent's encouragement!

Jerry

Let me get this straight--this boy didn't just impulsively swipe some patches--he led a gang of patch thieves? It boggles my mind that anybody thinks this individual should continue as SPL of a troop. It isn't a matter of punishment at all--it's a matter of trustworthiness.

And to me the stark difference between this boy and the beer-drinking one is that the beer-drinking boy is apparently an exemplary scout in every way, and the only rap on him is something he does outside of Scouting with his parents' aquiescence. The patch-stealing boy, on the other hand, brought shame on his troop (or at least, they should feel shame).

I dont think that you should fire him... personally! I think the only fair way is to take it to the troop. Put him on trial for his actions. The heck with the parents they are not the ones in the troop so don't worry about them! I think that if the troop feels like he should be impeached than he should, and if they think that he should be suspended for a time I think that would do too. Even though you being the judge you have the sole responsibility of the final decision obviously!

It appears to me that this young man has serious problems. Sweeping it under the rug will not have the intended result. Since a decision has already been made, it would be nice to hear about his progress over the next year so that I could hopefully say that I was wrong.

FB