WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

CNY

As an ASM the best thing is to remember the serenity prayer.

Change the things you cannot accept, accept the things you cannot change, and learn to know the difference.

I would continue to coach the SM onto the right track when he strays so much, such as playing basketball all meeting long. Remember that you can help alot by setting a good example in your leadership style. Remember to work through the junior leaders. Be sure and reinforce their use of good leadership by giving them verbal, specific recognition as they make a good leadership decision or make use of a leadership style correctly. If you can help give the scouts good scouting direction then they can help you in keeping the SM on the right track.

I think you understand Scouting enough to separate wheat from chaff when it comes to the things that have been written in this thread.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been in NYC, and they have large and well run Troops., and sometimes they have not conformed to the methodology of BSA.Inc. But I would suggest go for the Wood Badge Program ( pay them $ 150 )( nothing is free in this world )You will learn something new.

Camping trips on monthly basis is great for the boys. They get a chance to get away from mother's shoe strings and father's observation., and learn independence.( not taught in training courses )

Keep father's in support mode., and away from their own kids. If to many fathers are around, the fatherless boys feel bad and left out. The only father figure in the troop should be the SM. Mission statements looks good on paper swhen the Council collects money for themself.Scouting ideals are installed by example and motivation of Scout leaders.Uniforming is shown by example. Even the commiteemen, and Scouters should wear their uniform on all scout functions. To stimulate the wearing of the uniforms., I had a Marine in full dress, and a baseball player come to our meeting./ They talked of the importance of a uniform,the pride, and the the identity it generated. Also, our mother auxilary collected used and purchased uniforms for our needy Scouts.At parents night we showed off our past pictures of our scouts in uniform .We had monthly inspection where we would give out certificates and awards. Such as camping equipment and etc.

I am glad that you have still interest in Scouting. One point I want to stress is (THERE ARE TWO FORMS OF SCOUTING.....THE PROFFESIONAL, who are paid, and THE VOLUNTEER SCOUTER, who toil for the love of SCOUTING. Juris

One way to help a troop is to stay away from the leadership of the Troop, but support it financially. Don't be a nagging critic. A patrol method only works, if you have 20+ members. Otherwise, it's better to run it as a Troop. Later, when membership increases, you can experiment with patrols. I had in my unit 6 to 7 Patrols ( 8-10 boys) And a reserve patrol of new scouts (with an assigned PL ), they would be intergrated into a regular patrol that lost a scout.Some times the PL would invite the new boy to join his gang.Or, I would place him, depending on the circumstance.

DAN and the NYSCOUTER , I wish you lots of luck, in your Scouting trail. Juris.WWW

Actually there are three levels

Unit volunteers --Deliver the program

District/Council/National volunteers---develop and support the program

Corporate Professionals---Implement and administer the program decisions and are responsibile for growth of resources.

As an ASM CNY's responsibility is to deliver the BSA program to the youth in the unit he serves. That seems to be his desire as he has expressed it to this point.

Anita of Indspls, (WADAWHOOT) I am proud of your reasoning, In my past scouting experience I had mothers just like you, and they were of a dremendous help. Don't get out of your Troop. Stay and organize a mother's auxilary, help raise "petty cash " for the SM, or set up a fund to buy uniforms to your needy boys, "by cake sales, raffles, or a bingo". (Not approved by the BSA,INC....) You don't have to register, and pay fee's to the BSA )That money you would be saving.

I am rewarding you, Anita with the 'SCOUTING MOTHER'S AWARD OF THE YEAR ' Juris,WWW.

To CNYC Scouter: I not sure what rights you have ?And, I see you are trying to get opinions from Scouters like me , Bob and etc. There is no such thing as a perfect formula. Even the BSA,Inc. does not have one. Read my profile ! I've beem 30 years active in Scouting, had 90 boys in the Troop, had 20+ Eagle scouts. (which is not much, according to BSA standards). Some principals I adhered to: " What is more important to have EAgles, or keep the boy longer in Scouting program ? " What use are the character building and citzenship, if the individual leaves Scouting under a year. Ranks are only incentives for the boys to pursue, the same as grades in school. It is the fellowship,Leadership, and learning new things. Yes, you can get some of these virtues in other organizations, but they will not be as good as Scouting. The problem is not with the dedicated volunteer leaders, It's with National Council ill perception of what " PADEN POWELL' basic principals are. Sorry, to get so over involved. Juris, www

Juris:

I'm not sure of the intent of your post. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, it appears you're trying to praise the role of women in Scouting.

I do have to tell you that some will find your comments offensive. I know I do. Women may register and are very capable in any position in Scouting and have been for several years. Anyone can run a bake sale, and I know of no BSA Ladie's auxillary or any other such group or organization.

I have had the honor to serve with many women and men in the Scouting movement over the past 30 years and do not think a gender distinction should be drawn. People are either good Scouters or they are not.

I would ask you to treat both genders equally.

Unc.

• 1 month later...

CNY,

Where are the Commissioners in the District ?

Set the example, wear the uniform, follow the book, be prepared, show the skills of scouting to the boys. You will be surprised that others will follow. Have fun, it's for the boys. Do Patrol activities,enjoy.

Seabear-

You asked:

Where are the Commissioners in the District ?

I have been involved with a Cub Pack, a Venturing Crew and 2 troops.

The Venturing Crew was in a different district (my district has no active crews) and the UC did try and help the crew with some issues it was having, it was just too late to help and the crew ended up folding.

The UC for the Cub Pack I am CC of, anytime I contacted him about any issues I though were his area to help us in (such as when we were having difficulty recruiting new leaders) he sent us to the DE, so I stopped contacting him and now just go to the DE with anything. The only time we saw him was once a year for the FOS presentation.

The first Troop were in did not have a UC and I have never meet the UC for our new Troop. ( I think it is the same person as the Cub Pack).

Thanks for the advice. I am planning to do just that.

Ill just keep plugging away and hoping it will catch with the other leaders.

CNYScouter

CNYS, I applaud your efforts. While you may find that it would be easy to pull out and teach your son that which he is missing in the Troop, I ask you to look at the bigger picture. Clearly, Boy Scouts more importantly teaches the finer points of leadership, adult association, and service to others which is often well beyond the tasks associated with completing a merit badge. I urge you to continue to pursue your efforts within the Troop. Because it is not only your son that is not receiving these qualities. It is all the other boys in that Troop as well.

It is encouraging to see that they understand some of the problems they have. Perhaps you can get them to work on them by using established program methods. Ask them to give you a year (after all it has been three already). If it doesn't work, then you can try someting else. Are they educated in the Program enough to recognize what is a part of it and what is not?

The Honor Patrol that was suggested is a good idea. As mentioned. Start small and you can only get bigger!

Good luck and thanks for your service and efforts!

Jerry

• 1 month later...

cnyscouter, I found it had to accept when I joined my Troop and was told that this is how we do it. Set the example and try without causing friction to convert( I had to do this with patrol cooking, some boys would be eating steak while others were eating pbj sandwiches.)