You know, I used to try and figure out if I needed a permit for a given activity, but now, I just fill one out whenever we're not in our normal meeting place. It takes a couple of minutes to fill out and fax (and now that I have the handy dandy Troopmaster software, it might even get easier :)), and then we're covered no matter what.

I agree with the idea that it is always better to file a local tour permit than not to. The council that I serve in has stated in writing that trips within the council do not require a permit. It appears that this is in compliance with the statement "Local councils set re-quirements(sp) for travel fewer than 500 miles one-way." that is found on this page at national's web site.

http://www.scouting.org/awards/10-278/index.html

eagle90

I was pulling your leg.

After just having my second back surgery in 4 months people were asking how I was doing any every day I would take a year of starting with today I'm moving like an old man of 90!!

Region 7 Voyageur

I think if you take another look at the link you will see that A National Tour Permit is required for over 500 miles, not the Local Tour Permit we all know and love.

Eamonn

• 1 month later...

Our Council's Executive Board (Great Sauk Trail Council #255, Ann Arbor, Mich.) has established a "simplified" policy.

All travel activities within the geographical Council boundaries do NOT require filing a Local Tour permit. However, outside of Council trips do require Tour Permits up to the nationally established 500-mile limit. If the Scouts are travelling with their own parents, the Local Tour permit is required. Reason: It is a Unit activity and the Unit will be held liable by the courts in the event of some untoward incident. This allows the Unit to carefully consider adequate auto insurance, legal drivers and seat belt requirement, etc., of ALL participants.

YIS, Jim Costello, Executive Board Member and Council Past President

Our Council has an even wider range for 'no permit required'.

The Council boundaries abutt Milwaukee County(lots of 'activities' there) so the official policy is that travel within our Council boundaries, Milwaukee County, or to our Council Camp (physically located just outside our boundaries) are all permitted without a permit.

If we are meeting anywhere other than our normal meeting place we file a local permit. If we are putting boys in a car and driving anywhere we file a permit. It is so much better to be safe.

We also ask to see proof of insurance from any driver taking boys in their cars. Our CC makes a copy and puts it in in a folder.