What are you doing to make the Scouting Ideals Method of Scouting work?

Hi,

Most if not all of us are aware of the Methods of Scouting:

Scouting Ideals,Patrols,Outdoors,Advancement,

Personal Growth, Adult Association,Leadership Development,Uniform.

Many of us agree that if we are going to meet the aims of:Building Character Fostering Citizenship, Promoting Fitness. We need to use the methods of Scouting.

These words make for good reading, but without putting the methods to use, they are just words on the page (Screen.)

There is a very big temptation or maybe I should say I am very tempted at times to get so caught up in doing what I'm doing that I push the methods aside and if asked my reply would be that we do that anyway.

We have this mighty fine list, but what are you doing in your troop to employ these methods?

I am hoping that we can leave this up for a week and see what comes along.

I really don't think that we need to get into what is right and what is wrong. The question is what are you doing?

Of course if you want to explain why you are doing what you do that is fine too!!

Eamonn.

I encourage each unit that I visit to do the following:

Make use of the yearly calendar as the most effective way to employ all of the Methods of Scouting.

Proof: The Troop Historian working with the Troop Committee person in charge of Public Relations, photographs and video tapes all yearly activities, a newspaper is published with pictures and stories about all events, and finally the Historian quantifies the individual accomplishments with the help of the Advancement Chairman and the Outdoor Chair, so it will become clear as to what occurred in relation to the Methods of Scouting.

Other Uses: The video tape can be edited and copied with overdubs using music and speeches for Troop history, given to the Scouts as mementos, and used at the yearly Charter Presentation Ceremony as advertisement for perspective members. It could also be shown to the CO's Board and COR as a way to demonstrate program validity during the program review session. It could also be used to demonstrate Troop needs, such as Troop growth indicating the need for a larger meeting place, etc.

FB

One way I found was helpful as I was learning Scouting from a leaders vantage point was to use the methods as a check list for troop meetings and outings. I would go down the list of methods to see in what ways methods were used in the plan or how they could be incorporated. After awhile it becomes more second nature.

Just as a reminder there are three sets of Methods in the Scouting program. We use a different set for Cubs and Venturers because they are different age and stage of development.

BW

Hi all

To me, for scouts to benefit and grow from the Eight Methods, they have to be responsible for them in the program. Each scout is different and he needs some methods more than others at different times during his personal scouting experiences. The responsibility for the adults is the Aims and to insure the methods are part of the program, and guide the scouts as they struggle in their experiences of the methods.

I found that when adults push their explanation of methods on the scouts without the scouts experiencing the methods, the scout has less desire to learn. I think our discussions on uniform are a perfect example because we all think we know the value of the uniform, but if it were really that simple, then why do we have so many discussions? No matter what we think of the uniform or any other method, the scouts will likely gain their values and opinions from their experience. Scouts need more than just our lofty words to be convienced.

Another example of letting scout experience the responsibility of the Methods is the Patrol Method. One of the big results of the old Wood Badge course were adults going back to there troops and forcing scouts to run a carbon copy of the Fox patrol they experience during the course. The adults focus was not character, fitness or citizenship, it was the perfect camp site. The Patrol Method is an experience of independent approaches to leadership, followship, Teamwork and Teambuilding. But many of the adults didnt allow the scouts their own independent experience because it didnt resemble the Wood Badge experience.

When your force a youth to dress like you want him to dress, or run a patrol like you want the patrol run or plan a campout out only the way you want to camp, he not only starts getting bored, he may start disrespecting the method, and the adults and maybe even the scouting program.

We want growth and that comes from giving the scout room to practice the methods so he can find himself from the experience. Its good that the adults know the methods so they can help the scout understand, but really it much more important that the adult understand the aims. That way the adult can always lead the scout to the bigger picture of Fitness, character or citizenship instead of the perfect uniform. If we dont allow the scout to experience, learn and grow from the methods, then we risk that the scout will gain nothing at all. Or even worse, he only gains disrespect.

Here are a few ways we tried to make the Methods work.

The SM reviews Aims and Methods after every SPL election with both the adults and new PLC. Then the SPL is expected to create his six-month goals for the Troop with the Eight Methods in mind. The PLC makes sure activities on the campouts include the practice of Citizenship, Character and Fitness. As BW said, not all that hard once the scouts get in the habit.

At our Council JLTC course, we added a class on Aims and Methods for scout participants and a separate class for their adult Leaders on the last day of the course. Of course that has been taken out with the new course.

I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

This is a great topic...

Refreshing from the right or wrong debate. But what it has done is got me thinking about what EXACTLY we (I) and doing to promote the AIMS of Boy Scouting.

As of last week the answer would have been, they are falling into place. You and I know nothing ever "falls into place."

So here is what I have done in the last week to get the AIMS and their methods at the forefront of the Troop.

1st- I have been learning all I can about the methods. Reading them and learning from experienced Scouters.

2nd- I have actually put them on our Planning matrix. And identifing activities that promote the AIMs. This has caused us to be focused in that direction in our planning. By doing this now, it will become part of planning process in August when we plan the next year.

3rd- I have "trained" the Assistant Scoutmasters and other leaders that work directly with the Scouts on the Aims and Methods. Even though they have been trained and got the patch... I am not sure they really understood the concepts.

So that has been a huge undertaking. Not even close to complete, or even visable at this point. But given time and energy it will come. I am sure that the Troop will be better for it. I believe also that once in place, this is a never ending process and so it must be kept fresh and new ideas introduced.

As someone stated before, it needs to be tailored to the individual Scouts also, but the principle and methods are sound.

Jerry(This message has been edited by schleining)

We repeat the Scout Law at each meeting. The PLC voted to do this.

The Oath and Law are the source of all SM Minutes.

Everything is done in Patrols. Even when we split into advancement groups we maintain a Patrol system.

We Scouters award a Wisdom Stick (curly wooden staff) to the wisest Scout at each camp. We promote personal growth and responsibility this way. We also recognise improved performance, behaviour etc n site and publically.

We camp or get outside on weekends every month minimum.

We do something outdoors every meeting (mostly)

We camp in Patrols always. Always. If a Patrol cannot muster four Scouts I enforce splitting them into other Patrols as they fit. My SM veto of little Patrols is partly safety and mostly that the job is too big and there is not much fun in working flat strap.

We recognise advancement with suitably elegant celebration (A flash ceremony) and we invite (with the Scouts approval) certain family members and others to watch the advancement ceremony.

We wear uniform everywhere. At camp many of the Scouts wear uniform throughout. I do not enforce or even encourage this but as I always wear uniform (I have two and wash one every afternoon) the Scouts do too. It is good to see them being proud (not just too lazy to change I hope). In town is different - but we rarely venture there.

The PLC is the decision making body probably 75% or more. Otherwise we adults make decisions and enact them to help prop up where the PLC is in difficulty. Mid week phone calls, Association paperwork, detailed programming (they do the thematic work and most instruction. I do much of the middle bit)

Adult Association. You've got me. What is that? Do we have that here? I'm searching Aust Nat HW www. No methods at all! Just principles which are long winded. Still searching at NSW HQ www. Nope. Can't find methods any more.

So maybe I am not doing too well! On the wrong track entirely it would seem.

Hi,

This has been on and off the board for about a week. I have to admit to being a little surprised that we didn't get more postings.

As we all know the ideals can be found in the:

Scout Oath, Scout Law, Scout Slogan and the Motto.

As a newcomer? To the BSA Oath and Promise. Only working with them for a little over twenty years. I have to admit that when I signed up as a member of the BSA, I didn't take that much notice of them. I had spent twenty years in Scouting in the UK using the Scout Promise and Scout Law over there.

The Scout Promise is:

On My Honour, I promise that I will do my best

To do my duty to God and to the Queen,

To help other people

And to keep the Scout Law.

The Scout Law is:

A Scout is to be trusted.

A Scout is loyal.

A Scout is friendly and considerate.

A Scout is a brother to all Scouts

(A Scout belongs to the worldwide family of Scouts. This is the "New" wording -Maybe because there are now Scouts who are girls??)

A Scout has courage in all difficulties.

A Scout makes good use of time and is careful of possessions and property.

A Scout has self-respect and respect for others.

My thinking then was that Scout Oaths /Promises and Scout Laws were much the same all over the world. This of course is not the case.

I strongly believe that if we the adults have a problem with the ideals of Scouting, we are in the wrong organization and need to find another organization that has ideals that we can live with.

How can we ever expect to pass on these ideals if we can't live with them?

The first part of making these work is making sure that the Lad understands what the words mean. I have had a Lad arrive for a Eagle Scout BOR and he had no idea what the word Thrifty meant.

In many ways I think that I agree with where Barry /Eagledad is coming from. We need to plant the seed. I think Barry and I might differ a little in what we do after the seed is planted?

A Scout and the adults do get the opportunity to see how things are coming along when they meet at a SM conference or at the BOR (Different Adults.) But I have found that there are lots of other opportunities to discuss and take a look at these fine words, we just need too be ready when they do come along. I remember hiking in the rain talking to a couple of Lads about what Duty to God means. Not me preaching to them but a open and honest discussion. I know a great number of Scouter's who can out Scoutcraft anyone, but are uneasy talking about things like this to Scouts.

I also think that we need to believe that Scouts are:Trustworthy,Loyal,Helpful,Friendly

Courteous,Kind,Obedient,Cheerful,Thrifty

Brave,Clean and Reverent.

We need to let go and give them /him every chance to prove that they are.

Sure there are times when a Lad will let us down, sure there are times when this will blow up in our face. But we use this as lesson for the Scout.

Ceremonies can help to make a point.We lose a great opportunity to help make a point when the SPL stands up to do the usual unplanned opening.

Stands there with one hand in his pocket, and rushes through the Scout Oath and Law. The words lose their meaning and in my view things like this do more harm than good.

Those of us who have been involved in training, may have done the thing where you ask everyone to do what you sat to do. Then you ask everyone to touch their nose, but you go and touch your chin. About half the participants will have touched their chin.

We lead by example. None of us are saints and I don't think anyone expects us to be. Before we beat ourselves up we need to remember that we along with the Scouts have said that we are going to do our best.

I have always thought that the idea of doing a good turn daily is a good idea, but helping other people at all times is wishful thinking.

Being prepared for any old thing, is also a very tall order. We do have a lot of things that we do and teach that help our Scouts become more prepared and as they take on more challenges and the activities become more adventurous they need to take more responsibility for their own preparations and preparedness.

I do agree with Barry that we need to tailor what we do to the needs of each individual Scout. Some Lads will come from families that have values much the same as can be found in the ideals of Scouting, while other families may be a little thin in the values department.

Eamonn.

• 2 weeks later...

Eamonn, I compliment you for your question and encourage you to stay with this topic. It is really quite important.

I grow concerned that Scout leaders (youth and adults) may have some expertise with the individual tools and procedures of Scouting but do not have a clear, compelling picture of what an individual Scout or a troop should be. Not what the best Scout in their troop looks like, or the best troop in the council, but rather the ideal Scout. Many of the leaders with whom I visit have not considered what possibilities exist--rather, they strive to maintain the status quo, whatever that might be.

Social and management scientists have overwhelmingly established that one of the best predictors of future success is a powerful vision of the future (see, for example, the work of Joel Arthur Barker or Thomas Kuhn). A compelling picture of the ideal Scout and troop gives the individual Scout access to what is possible--a goal--and pulls the Scout out of the realm is "all I know is what I know." The path to reach this goal is not known, and the Scout will have to establish it. He will have to learn what it is that he presently does not know.

So where are the ties to the ideals of Scouting? I presently see two. As one pictures in his mind that ideal Scout, one sees elements of the ideals. The ideal Scout is uniformed. He is comfortable with a backpack in the wilderness. He converses respectfully yet easily with adults at school, church, and in the surrounding community. He leads his patrol with consideration and concern for his fellow patrol members, and is a friend to both the experienced and particularly the new Scout. He is capable of gracefully taking direction from others more experienced or wise.

Secondly, and as widely discussed elsewhere in these threads, within the ideals are the tools used to reach this goal. You, Mr. White, and many others have eloquently explained the tactical uses of the ideals and how an individual ideal fits into the big picture.

My comment, then, is that the powerful vision of "what can be" should be deliberately drawn from the ideals. This gives each Scout (and, perhaps as importantly, each adult volunteer) the access to the difficult yet achievable goal of becoming the "ideal Scout". The Scouting experience becomes one of importance and significance, requiring effort, commitment, passion, and courage. The Scout is now playing for big stakes.