POLES FOR PIONEERING PROJECTS

MEKANIC13,

welcome aboard!

questions:

Where are you?

How much do you have to spend?

(as Eamonn indicated wood can be had free if you look, ask, and work for it! 'course it depends on how much and what sizes on material you want and can handle.)

I'd be interested to hear what folks have to say regarding the use of bamboo in pioneering projects.

On the plus side, I like the fact that it grows straight, tall, and does not have a lot of branches that require trimming. Usually not difficult to find a free source in the areas I've lived in.

On the minus side, I'm assuming it is not the strongest material.

Well, if you were in my neck of the woods I would cut you a truck load of spars. Got so much down timber from Hurricane Isabelle it'll never be cleared...take a look around, and see if there are any logging operations in your area, some Bull of the Woods/land owners will allow you to salvage trash trees.....

We just cutt a pile of poles for klondike. We asked a landowner that had his land logged off about 5 or 6 yrs ago and it needed some thining.

Why pay for something thats free. Let the boys help cut and trim them.(This message has been edited by nldscout)

Bamboo makes a good starter kit for tripods and flag poles. You could make smaller field kitchens and towel and pot holders out of them. You can use smaller size rope to do the lashing.

If you bound three poles togetherwith lightweight rope or duct tape, they might be strong enough for more load support for larger projects. Bamboo is lightweight but has strength and can be stored outside. Length and load support are the limitations.

FB

Bamboo,is great for small indoor type projects:Sedan chairs, catapults, rope ladders. Some Troops have had a lot of luck using rubber bands or cut inner-tube in place of some of the lashings. We never had much joy and went back to using rope.

Table-top pioneering can be fun using uncooked pasta and thread or dental floss.

For a Troop AGM,we had each patrol design and build different bridges this way, the end result was very impressive. The project is too small to keep an entire Patrol busy so we had them work in teams of two or three.

Eamonn.

Duct Tape, Rubber Bands? BLASPHEMERS! As the Shenandoah Valley Pioneering Guru I condemn you all for not using some sort of cordage!!!

Our council is clearing out some areas in camp, creating a haven for pioneering scavengers. Bamboo is neat because of its strength that there are many more possibilities in construction, I saw a troop make a swimming pool out of bamboo using a tarp to hold the water and bamboo as a frame. I was looking at the Hurricane Districts website and they said that they "cut" a deal or something to that effect with some pine tree nursery, one of the guys in our troop did and we got some nice spars out of that

When I say I am a guru, Im just an ambitious pioneering instructor. T

OGE, that's the first I've heard about "krackow," I googled it to no avail. All I got was stitchings anda bunch of links written in Japanese. Would you care to elaborate, I am intrigued.