Virtues of Scouting and Scout Sunday

I would like to talk about the virtues of Scouting and how important they are in helping you overcome potential problems in everyday life on Scout Sunday to our COR church. I am relatively new to this and need some good input.

Thanks!

breakingout

Breakingout, WELCOME!!

Are you struggling with the public speaking or the everyday value of the Scout Law?

Speaking effectively about all 12 chivalric virtues of the Scout Law in a single time and space might be overwhelming. It's life-encompassing aspect is what makes the Scout Law such a special list. I might suggest narrowing your focus to just a few.

Other options might be:

- bringing up 12 Scouts with each getting 60 seconds to discuss a single Law

- expound on a single one in ways we don't usually think -- e.g. "thrifty" as it pertains not just to money but rather to our time, or our talents, or our emotions

- search the net for "Scouts' Own" services. Often they will use the Scout Law as a starting point for verses, psalms and even non-Biblical readings and sayings that help highlight the individual virtues.

Good Luck! Let us know what you decide to do and how it works out! Many readers, posters or not, will benefit from your experience.

jd

(This message has been edited by johndaigler)

Answer to JD. I'm a Cubmaster. This is my third Scout Sunday Speech (still feel relatively new at this). I am not wild about public speaking(struggling) but I want to do this because I feel strongly this is important for the boys, their parents and the (COR)church.

Is there a difference between cubs and boy scouts virtues? The list I have is for 7; wisdom, courage, self-control, justice, faith, hope and love.

Somewhere I had seen an idea for relating how the 7 virtues help us to overcome the "trials of everyday life" and he used a gallon jar with lightweight dirt (problems) and a ping pong ball (scout) to demonstrate this principle. You shake the jar with the ball on the bottom and it rises to the top because of the virtues of scouting. I'm searching for the "correct" words to tie it all together.

Thanks.

Sorry, breakingout, we're on different pages.

You're probably familiar with the Boy Scout Law -- Trustworthy, Loyal, etc. I thought THAT the list you were considering. I've seen this list traced to St. Bernard of Clairvaux, a ~12th century monk who strongly supported the Chivalric Virtues of Knights.

Though not the Seven Virtues (in opposition to the Seven Sins), the Scout Law is a list your Church will probably be familiar with, as well.

I don't think I've seen Vrtues spelled out so clearly for Cubs. I'm sorry I don't think I can be of much help. In my research, most Scouts' Own and Scout Sunday materials are geared primarily at Boy Scouts, often using the Scout Law as a core reading base. I've found I've had to age down readings for Cubs.

I'll keep thinking about this and get back to you if I come up with anything.

jd

If you were to use several Scouts to expound any particular list, the Church leader would not have to be worried about the loss of time during the service.

Cub Scouting has a list of Purposes. If you did nothing more than read the list and tell everyone that is the direction of your CS unit, as in a North Star analogy, you would not take much time, you would suffer little pain, and you would make your point. Keep in mind that even if you are new, you will see your Scouts arriving at their destination and it will fully convince you of the validity of this program. That will hopefully give you the kind of courage it takes to overcome the demons of the stage.

FB

The 7 Virtues are represented by the 7 rays on the Arrow of Light. This is from an AOL presentation ceremony:

A Scout has WISDOM - Having wisdom doesn't mean that a Scout is smarter than others. It means that he uses what he knows to live a better life -- to be a good example for other people, young and old, Scouts and others, family and friends.

A Scout has COURAGE - Having courage doesn't mean that you're never afraid -- very courageous people are often afraid. However, facing danger despite your fear is the act of a brave, courageous Scout.

A Scout has SELF-CONTROL - Scouts have to know when to stop. When you can stop yourself when you have had enough or done enough of something -- enough eating, enough playing, or even enough working -- then you have self-control. Know what behavior is correct in each situation, and do it. When you have self-control, you are growing up as a Scout.

A Scout gives JUSTICE - Justice is part of the Pledge of Allegiance: "with liberty and justice for all." Justice is being fair with others that we go to school with, work and play with. Justice means it doesn't matter who the person is, or what color they are, or what they do ... Scouts are fair to everyone.

A Scout has FAITH - Scouts believe in God. Faith means that we believe in God and other things we cannot see. When you know God exists in your heart, you have faith.

A Scout has HOPE - Hope means you look forward to good things that you believe will happen. You hope for better things tomorrow, but you work hard today to make those good things happen.

A Scout has LOVE - Scouts have many kinds of love. Love of family, home, your fellow Scouts, God and country are all a part of Scouting. Every kind of love is important for a full and happy life.

You will find that if you live by these seven virtues, you will be happy and will make the people around you happy as well.

Ooops - Double post.

But I did find this on another ceremony:

Story -- The story this year is about 'Scout Spirt' I use a large gallon jar, filled 3/4 with fine dirt, and a ping pong ball. When I turn it upside down the ping pong ball is on the bottom. The ping pong ball is a Scout. As I talk about the virtues of Scouting I slightly Shake the jar. Within a few shakes (about one minute of talking) the ping pong ball appears at the top of jar having overcome the great weight of the dirt. The moral of the story focuses on that the the virtues of Scouting overcomes all that is dumped on you.

(This message has been edited by ScoutNut)