Wearing full color rank patches?

One of the things that has been bugging me for the last 30+ years is the loss of the background color on the rank patches.  I remember something about blending in better with nature, but that's kinda bunk when you look at the variety of OA flaps, CSPs, and campout patches.  As my kids move up to the troop, I'm very tempted to buy them the old patches.  Thoughts?

Schools of thought will vary, partly dependent on how far your personal history may go back.  For me, we still had basic khaki with simple embroidery; 1955-62 as youth, and did not see the more colorful ones until they first were issued, and I was an adult.  Not sure if that sways me towards the earlier, less brash coloration, or if it is something else.  I still like the more simple designs personally; but I like the modern merit badges better, as they help identify the subject a little better.  Indirectly, I would love to see OA become less over the top.  Patches that cover the entire pocket are just poor taste in my view, and the things called ghost patches make little sense to me.  Similarly, I would prefer some restraint be reinstated for CSP designs so that they are a bit less glaring.  Some are truly beautiful, but too many seem, again, over the top.  But, I am old and probably just out of touch somehow.  A little more consistency for all, and good taste.

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, skeptic said:

Patches that cover the entire pocket are just poor taste in my view, and the things called ghost patches make little sense to me.  Similarly, I would prefer some restraint be reinstated for CSP designs so that they are a bit less glaring.  Some are truly beautiful, but too many seem, again, over the top. 

But, but, but... we can use these as FUNDRAISERS! 😜

Do you remember when your lodge and council had ONE flap and CSP?

smh

• Upvote 1

I like the idea of ghost patches,  I was given one as a gift for helping a beloved adult leader. We were trying to qualify for a James West fellowship award in his name. So we took up a collection and were given ghost patches for helping out. Folks helping out from the shadows, if you will.

I don't mind the current rank patches. I think they look cleaner.

Interestingly, to me, is that most longer term scouters likely have qualified on their own for the West award, just by hanging around and putting in their dollars over time.  As far as I understand, the award does not need to be a single gift, but can be over time.  Most of us likely never even considered that of course when doing what we did and do.  I was honored with the West award in the name of one of my Eagles that had died in service to the country, but I was not comfortable wearing the knot at the time.  I still keep the cert in my memorabilia, and now I do wear the knot.  But I started, ironically, after one of our long time Scouters retired with no real family, and started honoring scouters he felt were being overlooked or were deserving by buying the West award in their names, and then presenting it to them at RT, which he helped run for decades.  I realized then, when he asked why I was not wearing the knot, that I was being foolish, and a bit unappreciative by my thinking.  So, it went on the pocket, though really should already have been there.  It was, and is an honor; in my case times two.  

• Upvote 1

Once official, always official.  I think the old badges are cool and I love a colorful uniform on a youth.  If they like them, they can definitely wear them.

I tend to keep mine less flashy, I'm not trying to show off, but it's their walking trophy case.  I love the zany NYLT loops, colorful OA flaps, bold council patches. 

I love a good ghost patch too.

I dunno.  I think this falls squarely in the "hike your hike" bucket, at least WRT to "official" items.  Shoulder loops custom for NYLT, OA chapters and Wood Badge have become a fad in my area, I'm sure strictly speaking it's out of order, but I see no harm in it and insofar as they promote more activity by youth and leaders in those programs I think they are helpful. 

6 hours ago, skeptic said:

Interestingly, to me, is that most longer term scouters likely have qualified on their own for the West award, just by hanging around and putting in their dollars over time. 

It can’t be FOS dollars. It needs to go to the council endowment. Most (all?) gifts to the endowment are explicitly directed to go into that fund. So, likely no, most longer term scouters do not qualify for the James West Award. 

• Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

It can’t be FOS dollars. It needs to go to the council endowment. Most (all?) gifts to the endowment are explicitly directed to go into that fund. So, likely no, most longer term scouters do not qualify for the James West Award. 

While I have never contributed much to FOS, as my donations go to the troop first, then in support of specific programs, I have not donated to the endowments directly either.  On the other hand, what I have donated into is similar to what the idea of endowments is, but more immediate.  But, I think it is clearer to me now.  Thanks.  

• Upvote 2