On 3/4/2024 at 5:02 AM, InquisitiveScouter said:

Scouting is for adults as well.  Some, with good intentions perhaps, go overboard and neglect the primacy of our mission to youth... but I have seen adults who really blossom in the program.

"Sagamore Council is hosting Indiana's largest adult only Easter egg hunt next week. Registration is $25 and is open to the public but participates must be 18 years and older. In addition to over 50,000 eggs in the egg hunt, over 2,000 prizes will be given out. Guests can also enjoy food and drinks from seven vendors, live music, a costume contest, yard games, and more."

"Let’s have fun like the kids do!! The 6th Annual Scouting 4 Eggs Adult Easter Egg Hunt presented by Caterpillar is a GO! ...Over 1,000 prizes to be given out including a chance to win sports tickets/memorabilia, artwork, gift cards, big screen tv, and more amazing prizes.

We will have live music, a photo booth, Easter-inspired costume contest, Easter Bunny, yard games, and much more!

Glow sticks will be on sale to brighten up the night! FREE SMORES for everyone! The campfire rings will be back so bring a lawn chair if you want to enjoy sitting around the fires.

Since the event is being held at Scout Camp, no alcohol will be served/allowed at this event. The cost is $25 per person. Don’t forget your flashlight and closed toed shoes."

EasterEggHunt.png.ed12cee401a5c96d97b2980b447a1af0.png

Sources:

https://scoutingevent.com/162-egghunt24

https://www.wlfi.com/news/local/boy-scouts-of-america-hosting-adult-easter-egg-hunt/article_5ff81d5a-df92-11ee-ab56-c7693b84b347.html

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

It is not a family event, it is not a youth event. 

OK, but I do not understand why that should matter...

In fact, why should the council be trying to raise money only from families and youth?  I guess that does beg the further question: Is this only type of fundraiser this council is doing?

Ours does a Farm-to-Table event that serves alcohol.  Purchase a plate or a table.  Big fundraiser...  not marketed to families, and definitely not for youth...

But, our council does other fundraisers that are youth and/or family oriented.

34 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

OK, but I do not understand why that should matter...

Maybe it is old-school me. Apparently it doesn't matter to that Council and it works for them.

If Council asked me to volunteer for an adult-only Easter Egg Hunt,  Costume contest fundraiser at OUR Camp, I would assume it was an April Fool Joke and hang up.

If Council asked me to volunteer for Family Easter Egg Hunt,  I would be hiding milk chocolate bunny ears (eggs? real scouts eat ears! Arrrg!) on an orienteering course.

Different strokes for different folks ...YMMV,

:)

Edited by RememberSchiff
1 minute ago, RememberSchiff said:

Maybe it is old-school me. Apparently it doesn't matter to that Council and it works for them.

If Council asked me to volunteer for an adult-only Easter Egg Hunt,  Costume contest fundraiser at OUR Camp, I would assume it was an April Fool Joke and hang up.

If Council asked me to volunteer for Family Easter Egg Hunt,  I would be hiding milk chocolate bunny ears (eggs? real scout eat ears!) on an orienteering course.

They really oughta be doing both 😜 

38 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

If Council asked me to volunteer for Family Easter Egg Hunt,  I would be hiding milk chocolate bunny ears (eggs? real scouts eat ears! Arrrg!) on an orienteering course.

Hmmmm..... Orienteering this year will be in two weeks.  Now you've got me thinking.  

Speaking of, I need to stop messing around and go finish the new/revised map.  This will be the third year, and we've done two different courses.  I think too soon to bring back the course from year before last. 

Anyway, the ribbons do look kind of neat, but they definitely remind me of my dad's military uniform.  As a female who wasn't involved in scouting until my boys joined, and who wasn't an official uniformed leader until a few years ago, I have no knots.  I did receive a same-sized patch that has a stylized "WM" on it that stands for our old District and was an award for service.  It is sitting with the certificate and my running trophies.  All two of them, lol.

On 3/11/2024 at 11:50 AM, RememberSchiff said:

It is not a family event, it is not a youth event. 

I'll admit the egg hunt is a bit outside the box, but I would imagine adults only fundraisers are common in most councils. Golf outings or wine tastings have obvious appeal to parents. Mom and Dad have money. Kids don't. 😛

• Upvote 2