Class A Required at Meetings

26 minutes ago, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

Absolutely, that's all true.

The question isn't whether you should set high expectations, the question is what you do with those individuals who consistently do not meet those expectations. Do you let it slide or do you kick them out?

Piers and role models set the expectations. In cubs, our den leaders wore the uniform and encouraged unity. In the troop, the PLC set the expectation.

of course it will never be perfect, but the uniform is part of the fun of scouting. Have fun.

Barry

21 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

of course it will never be perfect

This is the point that is being made. Well, with the extension that when lack of perfection occurs, we accept that, and move on with delivering the program. What you control is the bar. Set the bar, but at the same time don't let lack of uniform perfection keep scouts out of the program.

• Upvote 2
55 minutes ago, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

This is the point that is being made. Well, with the extension that when lack of perfection occurs, we accept that, and move on with delivering the program. What you control is the bar. Set the bar, but at the same time don't let lack of uniform perfection keep scouts out of the program.

Folks always seem to revert to extremes when discussing the uniform.

The uniform is part of scouting, so don’t make less than that. The uniform  gives the youth identity and a tool for developing character. The community responds to the uniform with fondness, respect and support. The uniform is part of the romantic adventure to the image of scouting.

Make the most of it and have fun.

Barry

• Upvote 4

Side comment: I'm still legitimately surprised that the uniform isn't more enthusiastically worn by today's youth who are growing up with video games and digital achievement badges. We offer the IRL version of that, but they don't want to wear it? What the heck!?

My son with "grind" on a video game challenge until he gets it, to earn some digital achievement badge, but I can't get him to "grind" on a merit badge or some 2nd Class first-aid requirements he still needs to do.

Ok, rant over. 😄

• Like 4
On 10/11/2023 at 2:22 PM, FireStone said:

Side comment: I'm still legitimately surprised that the uniform isn't more enthusiastically worn by today's youth who are growing up with video games and digital achievement badges. We offer the IRL version of that, but they don't want to wear it? What the heck!?

My son with "grind" on a video game challenge until he gets it, to earn some digital achievement badge, but I can't get him to "grind" on a merit badge or some 2nd Class first-aid requirements he still needs to do.

Ok, rant over. 😄

Is he having fun in scouting?  If so, celebrate.  If he doesn't get a specific MB or rank, don't sweat it.  It's just a youth activity.  It really doesn't matter.   Focus on your connection with your kid more than forcing his achievements.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1