• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am on the other side of this than most here.  I have lived with depression since 1994 and sometimes debilitating anxiety off and on for most of my 49 years.  Woodbadge, that I wigged out on gives me

I was going to send this as a PM, but thought it better to proclaim it publicly.   I make no excuses for anyone who has made you feel they don't care.  But please know that there are plenty of people

Responding to two scout suicides,  Juniata Valley Council  (PA) partnered with the Jana Marie Foundation  to help scouts and scouters "be prepared" when it comes to recognizing mental health concerns.

Posted Images

On 8/1/2023 at 4:49 PM, 5thGenTexan said:

Personally, I dont really care about a person's uhhh affiliation...  if that is the right word. People are who they are. I make my judgements based on one's character.  I will fight for them though when others decide to cause harm because of who they are. 

I agree. Thank you.

(I really thought my post would ignite a firestorm considering how divisive the topic is in the national arena. Comforted that it has not. They are just children.  I don't have the answers, but they need emotional support.)

On 8/1/2023 at 5:43 PM, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

Of course that was all true, but there wasn't much to respond to in terms of how to right the wrong exactly. Of course it has to be righted, for the reasons you articulated, but the question is how to deal with the situation skillfully so that the right thing really happens. (Bully stops bullying, victim feels welcomed and supported by the whole group.) 

What response were you expecting?

Thanks for your reply.

I thought there might be a flurry of objection to my compassionate view of things.  I don't have the training or answers either, but there has been so much bashing of those least able to defend themselves.

5 hours ago, SiouxRanger said:

I thought there might be a flurry of objection to my compassionate view of things.  I don't have the training or answers either, but there has been so much bashing of those least able to defend themselves.

😳😱😞

May all beings enjoy happiness and the root of happiness

May they be free from suffering and the root of suffering

May they not be separated from the happiness devoid of suffering

May the dwell in the great equanimity free from passion, aggression, and ignorance 

Edited by AwakeEnergyScouter
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

The National Council for Mental Wellbeing Mental Health First Aid course 

https://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org/take-a-course/what-you-learn/

is being offered at the 2023 National Outdoor Conference (Philmont) this weekend.

"Mental Health First Aid is a course that teaches you how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illnesses and substance use disorders. The training gives you the skills you need to reach out and provide initial help and support to someone who may be developing a mental health or substance use problem or experiencing a crisis. For details on this course, click here to visit the Mental Health First Aid training webpage. Any adult who support youth and other adults in Scouting should plan to attend. Note there is an additional $100 certification fee plus the preconference fee. "

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...