What do we mean by "adult supervision"?

It seems too often that I read here and elsewhere that certain "rules or restrictions" must be put in place to make everything safe and smooth running.  And one of those is that we MUST have adult supervision.  So what does that mean?

Too often I see it meaning that some other adult must make that judgment with those restrictions and rules, and that we that are in theory the "adult supervision" are unable to do the job.  This makes little sense in many instances, and it is often a subject here as to what that means somehow.  

Just as we need to allow the youth to learn from doing and even failing or having poor outcomes, do we not also need to allow the leaders to actually be leaders; the "adult supervision"?  I realize of course that much of this is due to our societal concerns that seem to overreact to too many things and then make it into litigation.  Still, what is the point if we live with the idea that "adult supervision" is never actually allowed.  If the adult is not allowed to make judgment calls.  Just my frustration I suppose.  Or, am I on target?

At the core I believe it is to ensure safety; at least mitigate the greater risks not bubble wrap. In practice this varies greatly based on the group and activity. The rifle range director will be much more hands on and the decion maker regardless of the scouts' maturity and leadership ability. The SMs on a campout with a patrol of experienced scouts will be 100 yards away in case they are needed. And everything in between. This is a judgement call for the SM based on the Scouts ' experience, knowledge, and ability.  Navigating this tightrope is fundamental to the program, else it fails as either unsafe-lord of the flies, or the other end as adult-programmed day care.

• Upvote 2

Yes, there it is, in theory anyway, and writing.  Still, we continue to see adults with all of the things noted in your share be second guessed or criticized by other adults.  And those qualified leaders or supervisors are pushed sometimes to just give up.  IF they are there, unless they are letting something dangerous happen, they should be allowed to act as they feel is proper.  It happens outside of Scouting too.  But, thank you for that very concise link.

I have been to camps where the policy is that Scouts must be within sight of adults at all times.  How ludicrous!  And ignored...

It is a balance depending on activity, age, and skill level.  And you will never get it 100% right.  Will you take risks, or will you eliminate all risk?  If you take appropriate risks, Scouts will experience responsibility and personal growth.  If you eliminate all risk, you will have a Cub Scout-level program.

I have taken too much risk in some instances (with near misses), and not enough in others (with too much "parenting").  Sometimes, I nearly hit the mark.  When we do, Scouts get it, and really appreciate it.  (They appreciate the greater risk situations, too, but only when there are no negative consequences 😜 )

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Upvote 4