National Discontinued Program Fora (Plural of Forum) at My.Scouting.Org

28 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

I don’t understand why they turned them off now. They were not involved. 

Being somewhat more involved in the Cub Scout area, I can say that on the Cub Scout side, there was a bunch of not reliable information that gets perpetuated even after the official word comes in to correct it. Having bad information on the official forum is not great. That said, a better way to get answers that everyone can reference would be nice. 

15 minutes ago, malraux said:

Being somewhat more involved in the Cub Scout area, I can say that on the Cub Scout side, there was a bunch of not reliable information that gets perpetuated even after the official word comes in to correct it. Having bad information on the official forum is not great. That said, a better way to get answers that everyone can reference would be nice. 

It was a discussion forum, not a forum to engage with BSA employees.

When someone put forth a wrong idea, others invariably stepped in to correct it.

I think they shut it down because the discussions pointed out so many flaws in the way BSA publishes and promulgates information, that they just wanted to eliminate the embarrassment.

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
2 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

I think they shut it down because the discussions pointed out so many flaws in the way BSA publishes and promulgates information, that they just wanted to eliminate the embarrassment.

This right here is all the explanation you'll ever need. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Totally. The drew the line when people said don’t by the $24 cub handbooks, you don’t need them until Webelos. The next day, the forums were closed. 

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

Totally. The drew the line when people said don’t by the $24 cub handbooks, you don’t need them until Webelos. The next day, the forums were closed. 

At the same time someone also posted a slide that showed that as of March 2022 there were only 650,000 kids in BSA. Post Covid membership went down not up. Then someone else pointed out that the BSA had just said on Bryan on Scouting that its membership grew by about 300,000 girls, which means that only 350,000 US boys are currently in scouts. Apart from the tragedy of that, those numbers shoot a hole in the bankruptcy reorganization plan. 

• Upvote 2