Our Troop as had a hard time getting enough adults to "commit" to camping. Some need to show up late or leave early due to work. As our troop CC, I have a standing offer to Camp with the troop when needed. My only stipulation is that my cub-aged son can come along. I am completely prepared to be fully responsible for his supervision. He has now attended at least 8 events without a single issue. I know that this is not a model that all troops should et policy by, but it has worked for us. there have been at least 3 camp-outs this year that would have been cancelled without my involvement.

Before I get jumped on for "dragging" my younger kid around... It is always his decision. He has decided not to camp a couple of times. He loves to camp and hang out with dad. The Cub packs in our area hardly camp at all. (!??)

CE

I've brought my kids (ages 2 and 6) to summer camp while I was working on staff. They didn't participate in any of the Scouts activities. Camp Director and Program Directors had no problems with it. Heck the Scouts loved them. I had to make sure that some Staff members wouldn't "kidnap" them.

Scouting is a family affair. As long as the younger kids are not causing any interference to the Scouting Program, and it's ok with the Unit's Adult leadership. Then I say bring them along.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't much care for siblings on Scout outings. I also don't much care for leaders turning Scout trips into small family vacations.

Now, here is why I don't like siblings. Usually the one in the unit doesn't like it but isn't willing to say anything to the leaders or their parents. However, you can tell from their reactions to their siblings they would rather not have their little brother or sister following them around. This is particularly a problem when a parent has the Scout keep up with the younger brother or sister. It very seriously takes away from the Scouts ability to enjoy the activity, even if they never get up the nerve to say so.

If a leader is looking after family members that are not part of the unit, then they are not able to give the level of leadership and supervision needed by the unit. I would generally not want to count someone that is pulling double duty as a leader and parent as one of the leaders for a trip. Now if the other parent is there to take care of the parenting, while the other one does the unit leading, then that is a better situation.

Adult staff members that bring kids to summer camp is an area I have had a very bad experience in. These staffers basically turned their kids loose on the camp and expected the other staff members to look after their kids. These same staffers also demanded special accomadations for themselves at no cost, which meant many of the other staffers had poorer living quarters. This is made even more akward when the preffered parenting technique is to scream at the kids, even in public.

Now, for a unit leader to force the members of the unit to baby sit their children is totally unacceptable in my book. It is not the responsibility of those youth to look after someone elses children. If I were one of those youth, I would refuse to do it. I would not, in any way, take responsibility for the unit leaders children unless I made the choice to do so out of my own free will. Now, if they unit members do this willingly, that is a different matter all together.

Scouting may be a family affair, but it is first and foremost for the Scouts. The convenience of the parents, or the unit leaders, or of the siblings, certainly comes after what is best for the Scouts. Now, if we can do what is best for the Scout, and accomodate the wishes of parents, leaders, and siblings, then that is great. If not, someone is going to have to make some sacrifices for the good of the program and the Scouts.

I think siblings/other children (non-registered) are ok on some campouts under some conditions.

Our unit allows siblings and non-registered children under certain conditions. First is on our annual Family Campout. Most of the families of our Scouts love to camp and they love to go see what their Scouts do on campouts.

We also allow youth who are of Scout age who want to camp with our Scouts to see what it is like - a recruiting effort. Same with Webelos Scouts.

A third circumstance is where a leader brings a non-registered child and the child remains with the parent at all times and does not interfere with Scout activities. This rarely happens. But it does and usually has added to the program. Scouting is a family affair.

Anytime a non-registered Scout attends one of our outings, we require their parent to also attend (Webelos and other siblings). But for Scout age guests, we allow them to attend without a parent but their parent has to sign a permission slip with a liability waver.

This really has not been much of an issue in the units I have been in.

question here...anyone ever look at the insurance coverage for a BSA activity...I am not altogether sure the sib, the Charter Organization or the troop leaders would be covered if something happened... any takers?

that said, we allow sibs at a few 'low drag' events and infact have a few family activities...but I am now concerned about the campout issues if you take a non registered boy, a friend or classmate (a possible recruit) is he covered???

EagleInKY

that's sort of what I was driving at...not being a lawyer and all, I think sibs can really put an unacceptable liability on the C.O. and leadership...I also know that in a jury trial the waivers and permission slips are not worth the paper they are written on (as a diffence), they primarily make everyone feel warm and fuzzy.

I once said 'NO' (as trip leader) to a young non-scout sib coming on a canoe trip and caught the 'dickens' for it.

anarchist