Brand New Adult Leader

I am a brand new adult leader. I am a floating Den Leader, mostly because i have no children, let alone any in the Pack, and am flexible. The Pack just changed Cub Masters, so everything is a little disorganized around here.

And then I get tapped to be a Unit Commisioner. I have three Packs, in varying states of disarray. Unfortunately (or furtunately, I'm not sure yet) I got assigned to my Pack. This doesn't seem to be a problem yet, I have no vested intrest in the Pack besides stability (I'm trying to work on it...) and it would be difficult to pull me into one side of an argument. nless it was the Church vs. the Pack, then I would be forced to take the church's side, as losing favor in the church could have lasting effects on my wife's job. I'm rambling again.

I earned my Eagle three years ago (I was rather late in realizing my time limit) and have been inactive in OA since 99. (trying to fix that)

I'm a college student, and can't seem to find all the time i need for everything on my plate (which is rather small to begin with.

I'm also new to my area, so I have no idea about the underlying structures of any of these organizations I've gotten myself tied to.

I believe that's all.

Not sure what a "floating" den leader is but if it is a den leader that is willing to take on a different den each year that's good.

I'd advise not being a den leader and commissioner for the same Pack but there is no rule against it (commissioner should be your primary role).

Good luck!

Welcome fellow Eagle. It is great to have someone here who is passionate about Scouts and about the church.

Don't try to do everything, it's okay to focus on a few things. Right now your wife, college and the Pack are plenty. You are beign a good Arrowman by serving the program. So pay your dues and wear your lodge flap with pride.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

By the way, what does your wife do for the church?

Welcome, Winter!

Your schedule may seem crazy, but trust me, you'll be glad you stayed active as a leader. One of the biggest regrets I have is my 29 year hiatus between my Eagle and my son beoming a Tiger. You seem to be wearing many different hats right now; my advice would be to see where you are needed most and do that job well. There will be lots of time for you to roll into the other fun challenges!

My wife's a called teacher. They can't fire her, but they can lower her pay.

I'll enjoy having one fewer thing to do each week, but i can't decide which is the 'least' important.

As for a 'floating den leader, this is how it has worked so far. I've been moved from Wolf leader to Webelos Assistant, although the webelos have not had a meeting since my reassignment. they are all in the school's sports, so during season (read school year) they have few meetings. I don't understand it, but have been told it's "the way it is." I also have the potential (since i have no kids in any den and am not tied down to one) to be moved to the next grassfire once they find a replacment for me.

I would not want to Unit Commissioner my own Pack or Troop. There may be times, as commissioner, you may have to step on toes and that could cause problems within the Pack.

I have been ask to act as commissioner for the pack I just moved out of. They have some big problems and really need some help. But they feed our troop and I don't want to be put in a position of having to get into it with someone and it causing a problem with the troop/pack relationship.

My Gran always said. If you try to do to much you won't do anything well. Do what you can and do it well.

I suggest you consider choosing between serving the pack as an adult leader (in whatever role that may be) and being a unit commissioner. Either position will greatly benefit the scouting program in your area, and I commend you for being involved. I just would hate to see you experience burnout from over-commitment. Good luck in whatever you decide!(This message has been edited by CubsRgr8)

Actually, being a commissioner looks like it will work out better. (I won't be tied to housemoms' schedules, and I really can't show up immediatly after school if I'm still in classes.)

Besides, I'm more comfortable with adults than kids. (which isn't saying much. I really am not good at crossing generational boundaries, and most adults, i've found, don't enjoy a kid knowing more than they do. Which is what it still comes down to, I'm only three years out of high school after all.)