When I enter information in my Profile "About Me" tab, who can see it?

And there are other features like articles, reputation, etc.  How and where-how does this work?  I am new and probably missing what everyone else knows.

I don't understand how "reputationa' works and if I should be up liking or down liking posts and all of the mechanics of this forum.

Perhaps there could be an introductory response to newbies like me to introduce them to the basics of the forums.  (And I may have missed this entirely.)

And if I am totally lame, just throw me from the bridge.

Thanks.

Well, I can see that offering you to see our Civic Light Opera or Transmissions by Lucille won’t come off as particularly hospitable.:cool:

There’s a bit of a disagreement on when one should downvote. I’d like people to downvote me when they disagree with a post and don’t otherwise want to comment. If I’m just rude (or using this site to sell something) report it, and I’ll soon get a personal message from a moderator. It’s not a problem.

Reputation seems to do with how many upvotes minus downvotes one gets. I’m not sure if it’s a good thing. Unlike software forums we people upvote things that they’ve tried and actually succeeded in using, a lot of upvotes here are opinions, I think. Well, it’s nice that someone thinks what I wrote sounds nice, but I’d rather a post be upvoted if folks have experienced the same thing on some practical level.

So, you’re doing us all a favor if you like stuff that you’ve seen actually “work” and do the opposite if you’ve seen it fail. Comment if you’d like to add nuance or specific personal experience.

9 hours ago, SiouxRanger said:

When I enter information in my Profile "About Me" tab, who can see it?

Anyone, I believe. But I'm not sure, as I can see a bit more because I'm a moderator.

And there are other features like articles, reputation, etc.  How and where-how does this work?  I am new and probably missing what everyone else knows.

Articles aren't used. Reputation is driven by an algorithm - so take it with a grain of salt. As long as you're not really getting everyone angry my guess is the reputation is proportional to how long and how much you've posted.

I don't understand how "reputationa' works and if I should be up liking or down liking posts and all of the mechanics of this forum.

As @qwazse said, there are two camp (fires?) on down posts. My version is "praise publicly and punish privately," so I don't use the down arrows. I guess it depends on how you see the down arrow. Is it disagreeing or booing? I can never tell unless someone writes why. But to each his/her own. I don't see them as helpful or harmful, so I mostly ignore them.

Perhaps there could be an introductory response to newbies like me to introduce them to the basics of the forums.  (And I may have missed this entirely.)

There are some pinned posts on rules in the New to the Forum" sub forum. Given that this has been the 3rd, I believe, version of the software since I've joined we've tended to ignore the differences. Asking works, so you're doing fine.

And if I am totally lame, just throw me from the bridge.

Not sure that's allowed in the G2SS. We might send you looking for a smoke shifter, though. Oh wait ..... :)

• Haha 2