Wild, untamed, and savage passion....

Now that I have your attention....

The D.E. has asked me to consider being the District Commissioner this year. Those of you who have had dealings with a DC: what are some of the best things a DC can do for you? If I do this, I want to be good at it!

Thanx for your input, and sorry about the title

bd

I spent about six years serving as the District Commissioner for our District.

One of the most useful things that I do for me was to attend the Commissioner Service Conference at Philmont. I would strongly recommend this to any District Commissioner. It will go a long way in helping you be good at it.

My big problem, when I took the job was finding real people that would really do the job. We had a lot of names and while the people were real they were in a lot of cases too old to do the job. Some said that they couldn't drive at night. Some needed help to get around. Some were just so out of touch with the program, that they had no idea what was going on. It seems that over the years when someone wasn't sure where to put someone they made them a commissioner.

I do agree with the National policy that a Commissioner can not also serve as a unit leader. With the way that I was working at about that time, I was unable to make the commitment that I would be at a weekly meeting , a commitment that I feel you have to make in order to be a unit leader. Are you prepared not to have any dealings with our youth members? In all the time that I was District Commissioner, never once did I get a call from a youth member.

I was very lucky in that I got on well with both the District Chairmen that were in office during my stint and I have got on well with the DE from her first day on the job.

It does worry me a little bit that you were asked by the DE. I would take this as a sign that the District Nominating Committee is not doing their job, which I would take as a sign that the District Committee is not all that it could be. Of course I could be very wrong.

Moving from Scouting in a unit to Scouting on the District or Council level can be an eye opener. Much of the time that we spend in our weekly key3 meetings is spent on matters of finance and membership. Life gets real crazy at rechartering time. As the District Commissioner getting the unit charters in on time is your baby. There are no acceptable excuses.

One of my biggest challenges was recruiting commissioners. I found this to be an uphill task. I also had a hard time trying to keep commissioner service as the focus of the commissioners. It seemed that every time my back was turned someone was asking them to do something that took them away from the job at hand - Commissioner Service.

I wish you the best of Luck.

Eamonn.

Years ago, I advised the district commissioner to do the following and I stand by that advice still. However, I've never been a district commissioner, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

It's easy for me to say, but hard for a D.C. to do:

1) Cut out the "old bread" by that I mean unit commissioners who can't or won't visit their units and/or tick them off when they do. You don't need them, even though their presence on your roster increases your commissioner ratio for Quality District.

2) Don't worry about the experience level of your new commissioners, yes, you must recruit some. Assign the newbies to good units and the experienced ones that actually do advise to the ones in trouble.

3) Train them and trust them. If they say they'll do something and they know how to do it, let them go, but pay attention to #4.

4) Inspect what you Expect. If the commissioner is responsible for on-time rechartering of a troubled unit, call thenm (actually, have an ADC call them) well before the recharter is due and ask for a progress report. Keep going until the recharter is on time, at strength, and quality unit.

At least that's what our DC has taught me.

Unc.

The best thing a DC could do for us would be to remind the DE & SE that their career path and your desire to do a good and conscientious job as DC are not necessary in agreement. Specifically, I would have you instruct them that the startup of new units will be challenged and scrutinized at every turn.

Far too much time and aggravation is spend on dealing with the problems and animosities that surround new unit startups (and the inevitable failure) in this Council. Granted some are for all the right reasons and succeed nicely, But we dont have the volunteer resources to deal with the professionals career aspirations. The bad blood thats generated ultimately affects the program.

Good Luck to You!!!(This message has been edited by fotoscout)

John,

Sorry if I offended you, I was afraid folks wouldn't look in time to help me with my meeting the DE today.

Eamonn

You're right about the nominating committee, actually the whole district. In the past four years, we've had 4 DE's and very little volunteer help. Out here, it's mostly every unit for themselves. The last DE was good, but had to leave for personal reasons. The new DE is good and is working his tail off to make things right.

I don't think we'll have to worry about "old bread", there is only one unit commisioner actually working now. My task will be to find some new ones. We do now have 2 great roundtable commisioners, one for cubs and one for boy scouts, and I guess we'll start building from there.

I've already convinced 'her who must be obeyed' that a trip to Philmont is a must for next summer. She's eyeing that outdoors skills training part while I take the commissioner part.

BW-

I guess it's indicitive of how poorly our district is doing by asking me to take the DC role :)

now I guess it's time to charge heck with a bucket of water.....

bd

BW-

I didn't mean it like that, but you've kinda nailed me! I have a propensity for taking on things before I know the full extent of what will be required. The DE did give me a card that lists some things required for the position, so I would have an idea about unit commisioners, round table commissioners, assistants, and other responsibilites, but I know that the job descriptions sometimes don't tell the whole story.

Y'all keep the suggestions coming...

bd