Lost Scout II Locked...Why?

I know this is off topic but I have to post this!

"I also agree with the thread being closed. To voice sympathy for the Scout, his friends and family, is one thing.

To sit at a PC and look at a super-miniature quad map and publicly hypothocize the many tragic ends that could have befallen this lad, and assume places the trained rescue teams missed looking at or thinking about, is IMHO very poor taste."

Bob,

You posted suggestions as to where the lad might be! Talk about talking out of both sides of your mouth! Make up your mind, man!

Sorry. I now return you to your regular topic.

I don't agree with closing the thread. Any & all help is needed! The search team is second-guessing so why can't we?

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed, if you read my post again you will see what I said was there were several different hazards there that the boy and the search teams had to deal with IF that was even the area he was lost in as the reports did not all describe the same area.

Please do not make this family's tragedy just another vehicle for you to use to snipe at me.

I think its a little hypersensitive to close a thread simply because a rescue team is being subjected to second-guessing. This is not the Washington Post. It's highly unlikely that those directly involved are going to stumble upon this thread. My heart aches for a family that has probably lost a son. Yet, these discussions have not done anything to increase their pain. Second-guessing can be constructive - asking "what if" opens the door for a potentially more effective course of action next time. It may not help this boy and his family, but it could help the next. As to the comparison to heart surgery, that's a little bit overboard.(This message has been edited by Rooster7)

I did not post or even read the original tread of the topic, but I went and read both that topic and the posts here. The one thing that bothers me about locking the original topic is what I perceive as the reason. All other topics seems to have been for lake of scout spirit, in most cases they have gotten down right nasty when they were locked. This time it looks let it was shut down because the moderator didnt like it. Second-guessing is not needed. That seems like another opinion but sure isnt reason to shut down a topic.

I give Hops credit for being sensitive to the feelings of the family and friends of the missing scout who might have the opportunity to read the thread.

Moderating this forum has got to be a little like herding cats. Hops was selected for this position by the site administrator. If Terry has a problem with any actions taken by Hops or OGE as moderators I am sure he will address it with them. We are all here voluntarily, Terry has the authority here to develop this site as he chooses. If someone has a problem with the board's operation then they should probably consider addressing that to Terry rather than criticizing a teenager in public posts.

Hops, I think you did just fine.

BW

I think Hops does pretty well myself, but I also think he's old enough to hear a little descent. You did say teenager - right? For a second, it appeared as if you were saying toddler. I'm sure he's big enough to handle himself. And from what I've read, I don't think the criticism has been all that harsh.

Hops is doing a good job! But how would the family & friends of this lost Scout be offended by what was in the thread? If it was my son, I would appreciate any & all help! And don't we 2nd guess a ton of stuff in these threads every day?

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

• Administrators

First, I want to take a moment and thank HopsScout and OldGreyEagle once again for their tremendous service to this forum... they both stepped up to fill a much needed role, and have done so consistently with the kind of balanced cheerful service that we all expected. Their personalites could not be more suited for the job.

I think some are overreacting about "thread closures". A big part of the moderator's role is simply to "guide" the discussion forward. Closing a thread doesn't mean a topic is being squelched or anyone's speech is being restricted. It's just a friendly correction, leaving open the chance for everyone to continue the discussion in other threads and in other ways, but first giving a small pause to decide whether the discussion is appropriate in the first place.

Moderators are at the wheel of our little boat, rolling gently down the river. We're all in the same boat, heading in the same direction together. Moderator's just try to keep us between the shores, and occasionally speed or slow the boat when things might get out of hand. (And once in a while our moderators might chase off the occasional loon that tries perching on our deck.)

TERRY HOWERTON

Rooster,

How is my heart surgery comparison overboard? There were over 200 searchers being led by professional trained SAR folks. I've gone out to the site set up for this young man and seen the topo maps overlaid with the GPS tracks of the searchers. Unless we are trained in SAR and very familiar with that particular area, I don't see how our speculations can enhance the search. From the map, I can see where the elevation rises and drops. I can see where streams and lakes are. I can't see where fallen trees, boulder fields, caves, heavily forested areas, etc. are. They executed a methodical and detailed search pattern. My heart goes out to this young man, his family and his troop. It haunts me. I wish there were something I could do. But I can't imagine there is any valuable "eureka" revelation that I can provide from my armchair several states away that will aid a bunch of veteran SAR's. I know they appreciate my concerns, support and prayers; but I'm sure they don't need me second guessing their efforts and telling them how to do their job.

I didn't post in the thread in question.

My heart goes out to all who spent time looking for the Lad and my prayers are with his family and friends.

I trust both OGE and Hops Scout.

I admire what they have done and are doing.

Hops being a young Lad has very little to do with my admiration. He has it for the job he has and is doing. That isn't to take anything away for OGE.

Eamonn.