19 year old "Adult" Leader

I think the judgement of the Scoutmaster would be more important than any job description BSA might write up for a new adult leader position.

TheScoutmaster gauges his faith and reliance on the his assistants based on their individual abilities and experience. An assistant Scoutmaster with 10 years experience as an adult Scouter may be given more responsibilities than the 18 year old kid fresh out of the troop.

I have worked with excellent 18-20 SAs and I have worked with poor ones. Perspective and patience seem to be the keys. Any SM asking for help from these guys needs to make sure they understand how to work collaboratively. One thing I have noted is that the young SAs that have camp staff or JLTC staff experience tend to do better. They have learned to work with adults on an equal footing and have a bit more perspective.

I feel training, mentoring and defining a role for them within the troop are critical to success. One we had a young SA a few years back with experience on staff at Philmont and he was able to mentor some of our older scouts that were working on camp staff. His efforts for a couple of years definitely added a lot to our program.

The day after I turned 18, I become an assistant. The council office told my troop the Junior Assistant Scoutmasters are from the ages of 16-18. Until I turned 21, I was limited in what reponsibilities I could handle in the Scoutmaters absence.

In practical terms it seems unlikely that a troop would have a Junior Assistant Scoutmaster younger than age 16. But there is no minimum age requirement.

The only limitation I can think of for a JASM would be that involving 2-deep leadership for trips and outings. One of the 2 must be over 21. What other restrictions did your council impose?

In practical terms it seems unlikely that a troop would have a Junior Assistant Scoutmaster younger than age 16. But there is no minimum age requirement.

Anybody have a current Scoutmasters Handbook handy? Doesn't it say a JASM must be at least 16? (In other words, 16 or 17?) It used to. I think it still does.

Boy, two big screw-ups in the same day. I'd better take a hike or something.

NJ, your memory is good. From the Scoutmaster Handbook, "A Scout at least 16 years of age who has shown outstanding leadership skills may be appointed by the senior patrol leader, with the advice and consent of the Scoutmaster, to serve as a junior assistant Scoutmaster."

Meamemg, I guess I got confused with the earlier post that referred to limited responsibilities until age 21. The JASM is finished on his 18th birthday (also in the book). As you said, a JASM is not an adult and cannot satisfy 2-deep leadership requirements.

• 1 month later...

Its my understanding that a 19 year old ASM and a 21+ ASM could be in the same tent as they are both defined as adults by the BSA and its a Boy Scout event.

Now, if that same 19 year old ASM is also registered in a Venturing Crew and the same 21+ ASM are on a Venturing Outing the following week end, then they cant be in the same tent for the Venturing Outing, OK one week but not the next