just sitting and thinking

There is one memorable scene in the Muppet Movie where Kermie is sitting alone out in the desert. He is talking to himself out loud while the others are sitting and talking around the campfire. It goes something like this,

I am not sure about all of the people that came here or why.

I am not so sure even what they are, just look at Gonzo.

He continues on providing himself with reassurances about his trip. (It was scripted, as we found out in the next scene)

Well, anyway what are we doing here in this forum and what brought us together?

As of late, it has been kind of quiet, kind of like Kermie in the desert scene.

just thinking out loud,

FB

Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection,

The lovers, the dreamers and me.

Or is that a different movie?

By the way, I think you can tell a real Muppets fan by the fact that he calls Kermit "Kermie" in normal everyday conversation. :)

Oh, and yes, I do know why he would be called "Kermie": Because that's what Miss Piggy calls him.

The real question, sticking with the Muppets theme, and the theme of relative desolation in the forums (especially Issues and Politics), is, which former participant in the forum corresponds most closely to the role played by Joan Cusack in the most recent Muppets movie (maybe it was just a tv special, it was based on It's a Wonderful Life and had David Arquette as an angel, Fozzie Bear as Uncle Charlie, and Whoopi Goldberg as God. And Joan Cusack as the evildoer who wants to take the Muppets Theater away.)

Well Mr Frog (as in Kermie, not as a slam to FOG) I can tell you that many came looking for answers, and found that they too could contribute. I started reading when I discovered it looking for resources for District Training.

I had more on the subject but then remembered that stirring the pot, and name calling just aren't right. I hope that we can find a way to be more tolerant of others.

The main players in the Forum seem to be somewhat played out after the controversy of the True Religion thread. 20 PAGES!! After all, it was very provocative.

I also find myself 2nd guessing some of my comments, especially when I am not sure what the "official" answer is. Clearly this is because of the absence of the Forum Resident Expert (FRE). You know who he is. Before, I could answer and know that the party line would be represented in the discussion. Now, I am just not sure....

I have never seen the Muppet movie.

I have seen the original Disney The Jungle Book.

In this movie there is a scene with three or maybe four vultures? On a tree. These birds sound like they come from Liverpool and a very famous band that came from that neck of the woods. The dialog goes something like:

Vulture #1 "What shall we do?"

Vulture #2 "I don't know."

Vulture #3 "What do you want to do?"

Vulture #4 "I don't know."

Vulture #1 "What shall we do?"

And so it goes on.

I love this movie and have used this clip in the past in training Patrol Leaders.

There are times when we all hit this wall of not knowing what to do next. The danger is that we turn left when we should have gone right worse still we just keep going when we should use the time for taking stock and reflecting on where we have been.

Eamonn.

Oaky --

The theme running subterraneously through this thread is one of loneliness and abandonment -- at least the way I'm reading it at the moment.

We are not lost!

I know the scene in the Disney Jungle Book to which Eamonn refers. It is on a bleak background, but there's a lot of humor there.

I submit that there remains a lot of Scouting knowledge here. Yes, among us regular guys. Some tout the BSA line, and some do not, but between our shared resources, we have all it takes to answer one anothers questions, or at least point one another in the right direction.

Then lay on, MacDuff! Let's go and get the job done.

We can do it. If the forum leaders of days gone by come back, so be it. We'll welcome them. In the meantime, they've taught us how to kindle a flame, find a reference and/or pick up our chins when we are down.

We'll just have to read a few more manuals. All of us.

Unc.

Next time your found with your chin on the ground

There's a lot to be learned so look around

Just what makes that little ol' ant

Think he'll move that rubber tree plant

Anyone knows an ant can't

Move a rubber tree plant

But he's got high hopes... he's got high hopes

He's got high apple pie in the sky hopes

So any time you're getting low

'Stead of letting go,

Just remember that ant.

Oops there goes another rubber tree plant.

When troubles call and your back's to the wall

There's a lot to be learned, that wall could fall.

Once there was a silly ol' ram,

Thought he'd punch a hole in a dam;

No one could make that ram scram,

He kept buttin' that dam

But he's got high hopes... he's got high hopes

He's got high apple pie in the sky hopes

So any time you're feeling bad

'Stead of feeling sad

Just remember that ram.

Oops there goes a billion kilowatt

Oops there goes a billion kilowatt

Oops there goes a billion kilowatt dam!

So keep your high hopes, keep your high hopes.

Keep your high apple pie in the sky hopes.

A problem's just a toy balloon

They'll be bursting soon

They're just bound to go POP!

Oops there goes another problem kerplop.

Kerplop!

I don't want to move the old camfire ring. I am not worried about those that left. I am just complaining about the stew that boiled over and made a mess. I don't mind the mess because it is part of cooking. I just want there to be another meal.

FB

I found amusement in those who would pick and taunt and was even more amused at those who took the bait and ran with it. Reminded me of my sister and I growing up, or watching a bunch of Webelos interact. And these were grown adults. Now they have gotten ticked, taken their ball and glove and stomped on home, thus "depriving" us of their expertise. Oh well. Their loss. We still have enough to field a team. After all, "There's no CRYING in baseball!!!!"

All right...who's on first? Who's got first ups? Let's have FUN!!!(This message has been edited by scoutldr)