Is an ATV Rodeo camp-out "ok" with the BSA policy police ???? I'm thinking about having the Troop camp-out at the farm late this fall for some *ATV fun in the fields and on the trails* after a safety session provided by Honda USA. Thoughts and comments appreciated....is this activity very common w/ other Troops ?

Thanks,

Greeneagle5

See Public message:

From the Guide to Safe Scouting:

Unauthorized and Restricted Activities

The following activities have been declared unauthorized and restricted by the Boy Scouts of America:

All-terrain vehicles (ATVs) are banned from program use. ATVs are defined as motorized recreational cycles with three or four large, soft tires, designed for off-road use on a variety of terrains.

Does anybody have any background information on this ban?

I know they're dangerous even with the best of supervision and training. Can anyone point me in the direction of some facts regarding injuries/deaths due to ATV's?

I've had a scout ask me about ATV's several times, and while he respects the answer of "b/c the G2SS says so", having a little more data to back up this reasoning would be a great help.

Cheers,

--Gags

I may be wrong on this, and maybe Bob White will chime in to correct me if we're lucky, but I don't think the ban extends to snowmobiles. I'm pretty sure I can recall recent Boy's Life articles about snowmobile camping. So if an ATV event potentially interested anyone and since it's a banned activity, they may want to look into a snowmobile event as an alternative, provided appropriate supervision, training etc. is included. But, please don't take my word on this, double check on the use of snowmobiles.

Personally, at this point, I'm not a big fan of these mechanized contraptions as recreational activities. I'm not a big fan of internal combustion engines period but recognize they have utlitarian value. For recreation I'm more of a hiker, biker, skier, sailor type. I also remember how intrigued I was as a young teen by go karts, snowmobiles, mini-bikes etc. and how much fun they were and could see how scout age kids would find interest in them.

SA

Snowmobiling is mentioned in the G2SS as a winter sport activity and is not specifically prohibited.

According to a State of WV website, they have had over 75 ATV fatalities in WV in the past 3 years. Most states have laws with minimum ages for ATV operation. It's probably a case where the BSA lawyers said "Just say no."