Age Appropriate Guidelines

I've read through a bunch of forums and have only seen this question addressed directly one time. I'd like to ask it again explicitly and reassure myself that I understand the answer.

The Age Appropriate Guidelines chart at

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/18-260/chart.html

appears as an "Appendix" to the G2SS.. at least that is how it is listed at the bottom of

http://www.scouting.org/pubs/gss/toc.html )

The G2SS is a "guide" which spells out specific policy that may not be violated (under penalty of wet noodle lashing and withholding of insurance protection).

Is the AAG chart similarly ironclad, as an appendix of the G2SS? I have definitely encountered people who believe this is the case.

Or is it "not so much rules, as guidelines?" In other words, insurance protection cannot be withheld because Cub Scouts used a palm sander (power tool) or because Boy Scouts went caving. (Since G2SS has specific requirements for Boy Scouts to go caving, I think the answer is clear enough, but I'm asking anyway.)

("Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner!")

Welcome to the forums, fling1. I have to ask: fling1 what? Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Anyway there are two answers. First I read guidelines just as Barbosa did. Second, you must be careful that you don't go over the edge with us, for here there be monsters.

The following is from http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/18-260/

The BSA recognizes that youth in various parts of the country develop at different rates. These guidelines are designed to demonstrate the mainstream of youth capabilities.

For instance, Cub Scouts may be involved in winter camping in Alaska, where cold-weather activities are part of the culture. On the West Coast and Gulf Coast, surfing may be appropriate for Boy Scouts. In the Northeast, youth begin playing street and ice hockey at an early age.

Because of the varying development rates among youth, these activity guidelines are flexible and should not be perceived as requirements or rules. They address the mainstream of youth abilities while allowing for exceptions for Scouting units and groups based on the consideration and judgment of unit, district, and council committees and boards. Older Boy Scouts should be at least 13 years of age by January 1 of the year they participate.

Eye Matey,

Once you get away from the thou shall nots in the G2SS me likes Captain Jack's philosophy regarding age appropriate activities. There are only two rules to live by - What a boy can do, and what a boy can not do.

If you want a more direct answer, I think there was a thread not too long ago that had some real good discussion regarding this topic. You might want to look that up.

I may end up flinging some canteloupes or small watermelons this summer. But post-halloween is always punkin season!

Luckily, the G2SS does not specifically prohibit fooling about with midieval seige weapons (obligitory attempt to inject some relevence to the topic :-)

Fling1: "Luckily, the G2SS does not specifically prohibit fooling about with midieval seige weapons "

As a mater of fact, the Age Appropriate Guidelines chart shows that catapults are approprate for Tiger Cubs and up! Go for it! (it's in the Shooting section).