Starting as pack secretary -- where to start?

Hey, all. Got drafted as pack secretary despite being new -- it's a small pack of about 12 kids -- only Lion through Bear dens currently -- recent shakeups of leaders leaving, etc. I'm coming on board in the aftermath -- don't know about the drama, don't really care as long as it doesn't affect the kids or money/gear "disappearing."

So anywho, after reading the CS Leader Book, I've seen the job description: 

• Keep informed of all Cub Scouting literature, materials, records, and forms to help leaders function effectively. Help new den leaders access needed tools.
  • Acquaint den leaders with the contents of the Pack Record Book so that they will know how to supply the information that should be recorded there.
  • Maintain up-to-date information on membership, leadership, attendance, and advancement in the Pack Record Book or special software.
  • Maintain an inventory of pack property.
  • Handle correspondence for the pack. This may include writing letters of appreciation and requests for reservations, or ordering supplies through the local council service center.
  • Keep notes on business conducted at pack leaders’ meetings. Record only key items such as things needing follow-up or items for the history of the pack.
  • Notify leaders of pack leaders’ meetings and other activities.
  • Provide den leaders with records and forms for meetings.

So where should I start getting things around? I'm thinking the record book and inventory should be the first things to straighten out (don't have either yet -- i've been on the job for four days), as well as updating any mailing lists of parents/leaders. 

Thanks,

--Bob

I'm not sure what defines the pack record book. That might have been supplanted by scout book and other online records. Searching online, it looks like it was previously an official publication, but isn't any longer. So instead, what you need to keep up to date are the scout book records, plus inventory and finance (though finance is mainly the job for the pack treasurer.)

If your pack uses scoutbook, then what you'll need to do is get familiar with how it works and be sure that everything is up to date; ie the scouts that are supposed to be there are there, the ones who aren't aren't and that the rank requirements are being handled. Then conduct an inventory of stuff.

I found it very handy when secretaries posted minutes of committee meetings online. Put them up as "pending approval" ASAP after a meeting. That way, if you missed something, someone can point it, out and you can correct the minutes and have them "approved" at the next meeting.

If you haven't studied parliamentary procedure about what goes into good meeting minutes, you should look it up. It's actually easier than most people think. A group needs an outline of what was decided, not a blow-by-blow of everything that was discussed.