First Year Scouts Should Parents Attend

18 hours ago, FireStone said:

Why is it a "dumb idea"? You detailed why going to camp was good for you. But what's so "dumb" about a parent or adult leader wanting to keep their distance from their own scout, especially the first year at camp?

I detailed why camp was good for me, because, if someone else would feel refreshed by the same things that refreshed me, it might be good for them too, as it was for me. It might just be the smart thing to do.

Do we really want a potential ASM to miss out on spending a lot of time fishing, meeting staff, getting to know troop leadership, taking any available adult training, landing a bullseye when the archery range is free, hiking, training for the mile swim, helping some other troops' first years learn to swim, fishing ... just because he's afraid of his son's motivation?

There is a false dichotomy of "keeping distance" and "camping with your son". Camp is not a 4x4 cell. Parents often have an impression that camping with a troop will be like cub resident camp. That if you're there, you'll be assign to tag along with your son or his patrol. Nothing could be further from the truth. Now, for the parent who can't help himself and wants to stay on his boy's case constantly, that's a culture shock. But for the parent who's been waiting for the boy to really take off on his own, it's a rewarding thing to see.

But if it helps, I'll qualify my opinion: Talk to the kid. Ask "Are you doing this just to please your folks?" If he replies "Don't be stupid, Dad!" Then your idea is likely dumb.

23 minutes ago, qwazse said:

I detailed why camp was good for me, because, if someone else would feel refreshed by the same things that refreshed me, it might be good for them too, as it was for me. It might just be the smart thing to do.

Do we really want a potential ASM to miss out on spending a lot of time fishing, meeting staff, getting to know troop leadership, taking any available adult training, landing a bullseye when the archery range is free, hiking, training for the mile swim, helping some other troops' first years learn to swim, fishing ... just because he's afraid of his son's motivation?

Yeah, summer camp can be a great opportunity for an adult to become a more experienced leader...a better ASM and a stronger asset to the troop.

On the other hand, a boy does need space at some point to discover his own independence. Having the "safety net" of dad in camp denies him the chance to really feel a tinge of homesickness or to be forced to solve possible problems on his own (or to rely on SPL, SM, etc.)

Either decision could be the right one...