FOS seeks donations and asks that the Scout Troops not to compete for those elusive dollars on a yearly basis.

But when the United Way asked that the BSA not compete with them because the BSA was one of the recipient organizations, the BSA moved their campaign to a time slot that would not coincide with the United Way's. That is the real spirit of cooperation!

So, we should solicit through the Sponsoring Institution, not the BSA's and to do it at a time that is not in the way of the United Way's campaign nor when the BSA runs theirs. This must be the design by example.

FB

The unit cannot solicit donations. But, can an individual make a non-solicited donation to the unit for a specific cause? A troop needed a new trailer for camp supply transport. Why couldn't someone donate to the unit for the specific purpose of getting the trailer? Or could someone donate the trailer itself?

The chartering organization can solicit donations however they wish and share that in part or whole with their scout unit(s) as long as they do not use the name and image of the Boy Scouts of America, unless they follow the rules of the BSA.

What is so unusual about that? Lets say Fuzzy that you were an owner of United Widgets and as a customer of yours I went out and raised money representing myself as raising the money for your company. But then I kept all the money myself.

I bet you wouldn't be to happy about that.

But what if you said that as a franchisee I could sell products that you endorsed and present myself as a representative of your company provide I share an equal percentage of the profits with you.

Thats BSA Popcorn.

Suppose you wanted to ask others to invest in your company, and then you used that money to expand your services to all your franchisees.

Thats FOS

Suppose your franchisees asked investors to invest i United Widgets and then kept the money themselves.

That's wrong, that's units soliciting donations.

I understand the logic regarding not soliciting donations on behalf of the BSA and keeping it for the unit, but that is not what I have seen. In fact I don't think I have ever seen a unit raising money for the "BSA". It is always "Troop XX" or "Pack XX" written on the signs.

I also do not think Units should be out "asking" for free money. But if a private or corporate organization wants to support the community through scouting I think that is OK.

In one "hypothetical" example: A scouter's Employer offers an annual Grant to any NFP volunteer organization that the employee/volunteer contributes a minimum # of hours to annually. The Employer actually prefers that the money go to a local organization tied to that employee/volunteer. The Employer wants to see the money go directly to the community where they do business.

Anything wrong with this?

CE

"In fact I don't think I have ever seen a unit raising money for the "BSA". It is always "Troop XX" or "Pack XX" written on the signs."

But what if those boys where in street clothes and didn't use the words Boy Scouts, Troop, Scouting, Scouts, etc..

How much harder would it be to sell if they were in jeans and t-shirts and just said "we are raising money for a youth program at the Lutheran Church".

You are using the name, image, reputation of the BSA and you have no legal right to do that without permission.

"I also do not think Units should be out "asking" for free money."

Putting aside what you "think" or "feel" lets focus on what you now know. The rules of the BSA prohibit a unit, or an individual on behalf of a unit, from soliciting donations without the exchange of goods or services.

But if a private or corporate organization wants to support the community through scouting I think that is OK."

That is good, but their accountant is going to want it to be tax deductible so it has go go to a legitimate non-profit organization and your unit does not qualify. They can give the money to you Charter organization if they are a 501 organization, and they in turn may choose to share it in part or whole with THEIR scout unit(s).

"A scouter's Employer offers an annual Grant to any NFP volunteer organization that the employee/volunteer contributes a minimum # of hours to annually. The Employer actually prefers that the money go to a local organization tied to that employee/volunteer. The Employer wants to see the money go directly to the community where they do business.

You are tied to the council aren't you? Your are registered with them. The unit is registered with them. Your Charter Organization is a voting member of the board. That seems tied to me!

or does the community this business serves only extend as far as the families in the one unit you serve? By giving the money to the Council it is a legitimate donation and it serves more of the families in that business community then by giving it to just one unit.

As I posted previously...A unit can accept a donation but they cannot solicit the donation.

BEWARE

You are not a 501-3c, which means that legally the cash donation you receive is taxable by the IRS. Failure to file and pay the proper taxes could lead to legal action against the CO and the registered committee members of the unit. They can be held personally responsible for any taxes due along fines and penalties and even jail time.

I thought people can give gifts up to $10,000 tax free to any individual. I would assume that legally the Scout troop is considered to be an individual.

And what about Eagle Scouts receiving monetary donations for their projects? I know they are supposed to have a fundraising plan, but can they accept donations? Gifts of material from a lumber yard would seem to be similar to cash.

Those Eagle scout projects are not donations to the Eagle scout, Unit, or BSA they are to the beneficiary of the project or to the organization providing the service, which again is not the unit or the BSA.

Which tax laws, the ones regarding the giver or the ones regarding the receiver?

Unless the unit is a registered 501-3c that donation is taxable aginst the receiver.

As far as Boy Scout popcorn goes, it appears to me as an expensive product that has little value and is principally promoted as a donation. I would rather the BSA drop the facade and ask directly for a donation. That way real value would be sought by the consumer in the form of a tax deduction. The consideration of increasing the donation would be the first thought instead of how much money is spent on so small a return. It is an obvious end-run around the "earn your own way" dictum. It doesn't set a good example because the Scout generally knows that he is soliciting a donation and so does the consumer. It distorts the basis of good salesmanship. FB

While I'm sure there are some who share your feeling it does not appear to be the overwhelming view of the growing number of people purchasing the product, or the growing number of units choosing to sell it.

Fuzzy,

I agree about the popcorn. It is expensive. Actually a unit can sell just about anything within the rules and it will probably sell because benefits Boy Scouts. And there are many other items that can be sold with a better return for the unit.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10