Commissioners come in many flavors. I'm assuming your question is specifically about Unit Commissioners.

What they are: They should be friends and sometimes counselors for unit leaders, they act as diplomats, problem solvers, etc. They SHOULD NOT do the work of or for the unit leaders.

Some desirable characteristics of UCs: good listener, good communicator, tactful, patient yet persistent, knowledge of Scouting program, team player.

Yes, ideally all units should have a UC.

(This message has been edited by acco40)

Also, they often have several units assigned to them, and they are volunteers. I know several UCs, each with an average of 5 units assigned to them, and each working full-time as well as serving as UC with most serving in some unit and/or as trainers in addition to serving as UC.

They can be ghosts or a great help. Its the "luck-o-the-draw". Seriously, a good UC can keep you apprised of what is happening at the District level, give you ideas as to what successful things other packs/troops are doing and be an extra of ears, eyes and hands.

You can contact your DE at the local Council Office if you dont know who your UC is. Given half a chance he or she can be a great help to you. Typically the UC would in interface with your unit via the CM, SM, or CC. If youre not serving in one of those positions I would suggest that you let one of them know before contacting the UC.

Thanks

I have been Cub Master for 2 years and have no idea who is or if we have a UC. We have built up nearly failing Pack with a good group of parents, committee and den leaders. But am stepping down and want to be sure the next guy has all the support he/she needs.

Our program is good but not excellent and I now see lots of room for developement. Yes we have been active in the district as a Pack (Parent & Pal campouts, Cub Resident Camp, District Pinewood derby) However I will confess that though I went throught Basic Training ( As mentyioned by someone else on another topic the Youth Protection and G2SS was good but the Leader Specific for my course was poor)- my attendance at round tables has been very poor.

I will now become a Webelos Den Leader. I have learned quite a bit lurking here the past few weeks and do know I will need more training to deliver a quality program.

I bit about myself - I spent most of my time form 11 years old to 18 doing Scouts, OA and Exploring.

I am a Star Scout and Brotherhood member. As a youth I was PL, SPL and Instructor in my troop and attended Troop Leader Development course. Was also Secretary and President of my Explorer Post, and Secretary and Chief of my OA Chapter.

As an adult I served a short time as an Asst Explorer Advisor and as a Camp Master. Then other things took precendent in my life.

I became involved again 3 years ago when my son became a Tiger Cub.

Looking forward to learning much more on this forum.

YIS,

ronvo

Hi,

While a call to the DE will probably get you an answer if you have a Unit Commissioner assigned... a more appropriate contact would be you District Commissioner. ( I know you'll have to call the DE to find out who that iS -- hee heee.)

But seriously folks, adults who are new to scouting should be intropduced to the Unit Key 3, and when appropraite the District, Council or Natioanl Key.

Basically...

the De is the "Paid PRofessional" & like it or not he (or she)is a sales person, a customer servicce rep and sometimes an invaluable resource! They might be the person in your district who knows the most about the program, but they might not know your districts particulars twists or turns.

... the District (Committee) Chair is a volunteer who coordinates other volunteer in a variety of areas. (Advancement, campning, fundraising, FOS-Friends of Scouting-, programs, training -Kinda.

... the Distirct Commissioner leads the Commissioner Staff in providing servcice to the units. In reality there can be a lot of crossover between the commissioner Staff & the training sub-committee of many districts. For example many district roundtables are driven by the Pack, Troop or Crew Roundtab;le Commissioners & spend a little time on District/Council events & emphasize training.

The best Commissioners are often natural mentors or counselors... they won't solve your (unit's) problems, but they are great at asking the right questions. You know, the questions that point you in the right direction without "telling" you what to do.

I'll give you my thoughts on the Unit Key 3 another time!

Please take time to remember all those who served our country as you celebrate the Memorial Day holiday.

Bob

Hi

To find information about Commissioner Service and the role of the Unit Commissioner you can visit the Commissioners page on the BSA web site:www.scouting.org

I have to admit that I find it a little bit odd that after two years you don't know who or what a commissioner is. Even if you only made it to one Round Table you would have run into at least one Commissioner.Even more odd that he or she or someone didn't make contact when it was time to recharter.

Eamonn

A rough chart of units, districts, council

would be - -

Unit - Chartered Organization Rep,

Commitee

Scoutmaster, Asst Scoutmasters

District District Chairman with committee for advancement, trainings, membership, Venture Committee, Boy Scout Units, Cubs, Advancement, etc.

District Commissioner - Commissioner for Cub Scouts, Unit Commisssioners to advise Packs, Troops, Venture Crews.

District Executive

Council Commissioner

Council Executive

Council Presisent - training, finance, camping, membership, advancement, camping.

Thats not quite right Eagle54. First you have to accept that all councils and districts are not created the same, but the do have some common elements. Size, needs, and available manpower shape the various service levels. In general units are composed of:

Youth members

Adult Leaders

Committe Chair and Committee

A Charter Organization Representative

and a Charter Organization with an Institutional Head

The District is made of;

Scouting professional(s)(the type and number depending on size and strength of the district/council)

District Chair Overseeing District sub-committees(usually, or at least, including: Activities, Advancement, Finanance, Membership, Training), and the District Committee made of Chareter Organization Representatives and elected District members-at-large

District Commissioner

with Assistant District Commissioners, Unit Commissioners, Roundtable Commissioners, and Roundtable Staff Commissioners.

The Council Committee Is chaired by the Council President. His/her committee consists of Charter Organization representatives, Counil members-at-large, and subcommittees for all the same things found on the district level. The District Sub committees are also part of the council committee for that topic. The council often has other committees such as marketing, camping, fascilities, etc..

The Council Chair is also a part of the Council Executive Committee that includes the Council Scout Executive, Treasurer, Council Commissioner, and other selected volunteers.

The Council Commissioner has Assistant Council Commissioners for various tasks and assignments and meets with the District Commissioners within the council.

The Scout Executive heads the professional staf whose size and titles depend on the size and needs of the Council.