The goal of the "patrol method" is "boy run" troop.

But the reality is that the Adults are still in the picture. Adults do most of the driving. Communicate we need $.00 for registration of the troop.

Are the ones who pick up the pop corn to sell.

Hopefully the patrol method is that scouts votes not be popularity contest but the election of a leader.

The goal of the Patrol Method is to give every scout an opportunity to develop character, citizenship, and fitness through the activities and management of a small, manageable peer group.

Boy Run activities is a unique element of the Boy Scout movement made possible through the use of the Patrol Method. Boy run activities are just one result of using the patrol method, it is not the goal of using the patrol method.

54 - I'm not sure what you're asking in your post. But, I wanted to comment on one point. The Patrol Method is just one of eight methods. Another one is "Association With Adults". I've had SMs that take a totally hands off approach to the troop - to the extent that the boys don't even know him or that he exists. They do this under the guise of "this is a boy-run troop". The adults are just the "folks who drive us to the campout", and that's it. I think those troops are doing a dis-service. The boys need the association with adults. They need to see how they lead, encourage and care for them. The active involvement of a caring adult can make a profound difference in the life of a boy. So, don't think of adults as just the drivers and money handlers, but an active part of delivering the scouting program.

Using the patrol method has been one of the hardest concepts for me to learn as an ASM. It took me over a year to truly understand how a boy run troop really works. I could not control my need to make sure everything was working correctly and there was peace and tranquility. Made me nuts some times. Now, I still catch myself doing it on occasion and I tell myself, dummy your intupting the learning process, put your hands in your pockets and shut up. Yea, we still have to drive the cars but someone better tell me where to go or I might end up in my favorite fishing hole.

Me thinks that I would rather see the troop use the Patrol Method then be a Boy Run Troop.

When we strive to use the Patrol Method we ensure that the SM is training the SPL and the PL's.

Correct training of these young Lads is the hardest task that any SM has.

Train Them.

Trust Them.

Let Them Lead.

Only works when you follow all three steps.

As for the popularity contest. This might be true when you start a new troop or have a new group of Lads come on board. However once everyone understands what the role of the Patrol Leader and the SPL is, the Lads in the troop or the Patrol will want and I have found do choose the person that they think will do the best job for them. In some cases this will come down to once bitten twice shy and then again who is to say that the most popular Scout won't be the best choice? And even if the Scout isn't the best choice when he starts don't we aim to train him to become a good leader?

Boy Run makes it sound that the monkeys are running the zoo. Using the Patrol Method is at the very heart of Scouting.

Eamonn

For instance assume a patrol leader is not making sure each scout is pulling his load. Does an adult go to him or does he go to the Senior Patrol Leader first and have the Senior Patrol Leader encourage the Patrol Leader to supervise the patrol member.

Is this a teaching moment to show that a duty roster does allow each scout the opportunity to be fire maker, cook, and clean up person?

It is also an opportunity for those working on tenderfoot, second class, and first class to do the fire building, cooking and cleanup

sorry eagle54 your posts do not read very clearly.

SM/ASM's should help the PL and SPL to get their jobs done better. for some that will mean a lot of help from the adult. for other scouts that will mean an occassional reminder or observation only. the point is that the scout/PL/SPL learns how to perform better as a leader and person.

the duty roster is one way of managing jobs on camp. it is not essential and may even be inappropriate unless you are seeking for your scouts to learn about rosters. don't get me wrong. i think rosters are great.

before butting in i advise that we consider why the PL is /is not using a roster. does he know how to write one? is he trying to be too fair or is he giving the worst jobs to the one scout? if either again why is he doing this? is he trying to find the scouts who get in and help without being asked? is he testing his APL to see if he steps up? does he want a relaxed feel and has arranged for a low maintenance menu and campsite? is he plain lazy? is he ill?

having considered some of this go and talk with him. his is a learning role as is ours. i advise that we do not tell the PL what to do. just increase his options and understanding.

boy led surely does not imply that scouts can actually lead without adult help. some can. most need to learn how and we do what is needed to get them closer to 'boy led'.

too many variables for a definitive answer i think.(This message has been edited by ozemu)

Maybe this should be a new thread, but what do my fellow Scouters out there think of the "New Patrol" concept of putting all of the fresh Webelo crossovers in a new patrol together until they have adjusted to Boy Scouts?

The reason I ask is that the troop has recently doubled in size, with over twenty new scouts. The troop has really started using the Patrol method and I am watching these new patrols, who are very active, trying to run as a patrol with a patrol guide (an ASM) and patrol assistant (older Boy Scout). Each boy takes a turn (a few weeks) doing each one of the different jobs and they all seem to be focusing on advancement.

I am worried that they may be just an extension of a Webelos den and not getting the full benefit of a patrol with interaction with boys of different ages.

On the flip side I see the boys that crossed over last year and are merged with the older scouts, kind of floundering and trying to find an identity, and have not as yet even attained Tenderfoot and I dont see that they have grown much over the past year.

Is the New Scout patrol concept part of the Patrol Method and does it work?

Just after Noah and the flood, so time prior to 1954 we met as patrols at time other than the troop meeting.

The patrol leader could telephone his patrol members. There can be patrol corners as part of the troop meeting.

At this time meal plams/

Herms - You were correct. The New Scout tangent would have been better off in it's own thread. However, I think you answered your own question.

"On the flip side I see the boys that crossed over last year and are merged with the older scouts, kind of floundering and trying to find an identity, and have not as yet even attained Tenderfoot and I dont see that they have grown much over the past year."

There is the proof in the pudding.

Concerning the orginal post I can't improve what has already been said.

Paul

Herms,

The New Scout patrol is the recommended way to handle new scouts and has been the recommended foramat for several years. It works great and as you anticipated is a mix of den and patrol elements that starts off more de-like and finishes at the end of 12-14-months patrol-like with the actice members achieving their First Class rank, or close to it. For more information attend your local Scoutmaster/Assistant Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training, and read the Scoutmaster Handbook.

Thanks Bob. Been to the training (several years ago) and read the handbook (going to have to go back and read again), but this is the first time we've actually had enought new scouts to start one (in fact we ended up three new patrols!).

Thats great Herms!!!

I am a big proponent of the New Scout Patrol element of the Patrol Method. It has been very successful for me for years in troop scouting with an exceptional retention rate. IF you want more details on it feel free to private message me.