Bishop/Scout leader (OH) dies while rappelling with unit

http://nbc4i.com/2017/10/24/local-bishop-and-boy-scout-leader-dies-while-repelling/

Jim Watabe was a Bishop at the Dublin Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and a Boy Scout leader with the troop at his church.

Richard Welch, a church leader and friend, said Bishop Watabe was doing what he loved, molding young minds through the gospel and team building with teenage boys by teaching them to repel on cliffs in the Hocking Hills.

Watabe, 49, was the father of four children, ages 22, 20, 15 and six. Welch said he was a bishop at Dublin’s Coffman Road church with a congregation of over three hundred people.

He called Watabe a wonderful person and remarkable individual who always had a smile on his face.

“He exemplified the characteristics you would want in a bishop,†Welch said. â€He was somebody that was dedicated to helping and blessing the lives of other people, even those who were not members of his congregation.â€

Another scout troop leader at the Hocking Hills rappelling site said Watabe was preparing the climbing gear near the top of the cliff and when he turned around Watabe fell and no one saw what caused it. Welsh said Watabe was a certified in the sport and emphasized safety.

More at above source link.

We lost two scouters this weekend, one in California and one in Ohio,

Scout salute and farewell.

Edited by RememberSchiff

http://nbc4i.com/2017/10/24/local-bishop-and-boy-scout-leader-dies-while-repelling/

Jim Watabe was a Bishop at the Dublin Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and a Boy Scout leader with the troop at his church.

Richard Welch, a church leader and friend, said Bishop Watabe was doing what he loved, molding young minds through the gospel and team building with teenage boys by teaching them to repel on cliffs in the Hocking Hills.

Watabe, 49, was the father of four children, ages 22, 20, 15 and six. Welch said he was a bishop at Dublin’s Coffman Road church with a congregation of over three hundred people.

He called Watabe a wonderful person and remarkable individual who always had a smile on his face.

“He exemplified the characteristics you would want in a bishop,†Welch said. â€He was somebody that was dedicated to helping and blessing the lives of other people, even those who were not members of his congregation.â€

Another scout troop leader at the Hocking Hills rappelling site said Watabe was preparing the climbing gear near the top of the cliff and when he turned around Watabe fell and no one saw what caused it. Welsh said Watabe was a certified in the sport and emphasized safety.

More at above source link.

We lost two scouters this weekend, one in California and one in Ohio,

Scout salute and farewell.

Jim was involved in Wood Badge in my Council. While I never met him, many of my fellow Scouters think quite highly of him. He will be missed.