I hit submit before I intended...sorry!

I need some advice. I participate in Karate. Although I understand it is not scouting-approved, I have seen information that indicates Judo IS approved. My dojo offers both--they are very talented individuals. I wanted to offer a sample Judo class in my daycamp, but am concerned with the mixed info that it is BSA approved. Can anyone give me a definitive answer?

My fall-back plan is to have the brown and black belts perform a demonstration during our lunch break, and discuss the art form for educational value.

I must say, it is perplexing BSA standards would prevent martial arts when they allow such potentially dangerous sports. As I told my camp director, many moons ago someone had to say, "Hey, let's teach shooting sports at daycamp!" Someone made it happen. I believe martial arts will happen someday, too...

Thanks for your direction!

Hi and Welcome.

Much as I hate to be an fuddy duddy.

I would keep clear of all martial arts. If the little guys see it they will want to copy what they have seen.

What is the Theme for the Camp?

I suggest that you work within your theme and KISMIF.

Eamonn.

little grasshoper I feel your pain...

part of BSAs 'policy' is philosophical...about put boys in the situation of practicing to hurt each othe (see paint ball) Mostly I think it is a liability issue...you know the lawyers....

On the demo side...be careful! About 12 years ago I set up a demo at a non-scouting event.. and the 'crowd pleaser' was to be the old 'breaking the planks' with arms/hands/feet etc. Long story short...a fluke...a piece of plank shot out like a knife and hit an onlooker in the face...$15,000 settlement later was very painful...

and shooting sports are limited to archery and BB's...with a rated instructor and safty range.... no?

Actually, the Guide to Safe Scouting says this about Judo:

"Judo, Tai Chi, and Aikido

If Scouts and Venturers practice defensive judo, Tai Chi, or aikido, it should be done with proper mats and with qualified instructors related to YMCAs, colleges, or athletic clubs whose objectives and coaching methods are compatible with the principles of the Boy Scouts of America."

The Guide is pretty program specific. I interpret this passage to mean that these activities are limited to Boy Scouts and Venturers.

With Day Camp being a district/council event, I think it's important to set the example. As the others have advised, I would stick to a demonstration at the most.

As a word of caution, I once saw a martial arts demonstration done at a Cub Scout Day camp during the period after lunch. The demo was great . . . but trying to get 100 Cub Scouts to stop kicking each other all afternoon was a bit of a bear. Some of the parents weren't amused.

For further clarification (I think) the Guide to Safe Scouting says this in bold print:

"Boxing, karate, and related martial artsexcept judo, aikido, and Tai Chiare not authorized activities."

The bold print means it is policy. That part was listed in the restricted activities section of the Guide to Safe Scouting.

The Guide can be found online at the BSA website -- wwww.scouting.org It's under Scoutmaster and adult leader; publications, Guide to Safe Scouting. Two versions are available: a searchable online version and a downloadable pdf version. A hard copy may also be purchased through your local Scout Shop.

Unc.

Training can be offered to leaders for shooting sports, but no one can make those leaders retain the information. The theory of keeping it safe exists...kudos there, I guess.

The exhibition we would include would be kata-based, not sparring. Watching our brown and black belt members perform the more challenging katas is most impressive.

Our camp theme is Indiana Cubs: World Trek. Our intention is to offer each station as a separate continent. I have some really neat activities planned...and am counting on the station leaders to dress according to their area. :)

Has anyone ever included building soap box derby cars? Our Webelos feel they are too old for daycamp--in the past, the previous directors allowed all ranks to complete the same projects. I would like to incorporate a "big event" like building the cars for just the Webelos. This would also give the younger ranks something to look forward to. Thank you for your thoughts!

One pack in our District does hold a Soap Box derby. I will see what I can get and either post it here or PM you.

Years ago this was really big in the UK. You might want to look at the UK Scouting web site.

Unc.

Before your time we had a very nice pro. Scouter in these forums. He was known as The Man Of Steele, Steele was/is his last name. His Lady Wife held several black belts.

Here we have a true case of Her Who Must Be Obeyed!!

Eamonn

Dave if you are lurking, Hi -Hope you are being good!!