One thing to keep in mind, is that the religious awards are not BSA awards.  They are awards managed and developed by denominations, some through an organization called P.R.A.Y..  They are intended for the boy to work on with his family and religious leader and not as a Den or Troop activity (since they are denomination-specific).  BSA merely allows the awards to be worn on the Scout uniform.  And, as has been stated above, as far as I know, the adult awards are nominated by others and not something you can earn on your own...similar to the District Award of Merit and Silver Beaver.

There are a few adult awards that require a nomination. My advise to adults inquiring about these awards is that the award seeks the adult, not the other way around. I have seen adults get overly wrapped up in trying to earn the award and loose sight of why they were volunteering in the first place. Typically hard work is recognized one way of the other. To be nominated is quite an honor.

If I remember right, adults who earned the religious knot as a scout can wear that knot on their adult uniform. Kind of cool really.

Barry

• 2 months later...

Requirements vary by faith and denomination. In the United Methodist Church, the award is by nomination only, and you must be nominated by a third party. I have only ever seen the adult award once in the UMC.

From the requirements I looked at earlier, it looks like one's chance to be nominated would probably increase if one were active in the nearest available (Insert name of your religion or denomination here) Committee on Scouting.  Just what you were looking for, another hour a week (or month, or less) to spend on Scouting!   :)

As I have mentioned earlier, 40+ years of scouting, working to get many boys their religious knots, work weekly with my local church's youth group and am an endorsed Spiritual Care worker for the American Red Cross.

I've told folks before, I never was in scouts so with my son, this is my only chance to be a part of it. I would like to pursue some awards because it helps me stay the course and I like the idea of showing our scouts that their leaders are interested in doing our best as well. 

I do agree though, seeking a nomination is awkward. That's why I don't like the idea of nominations because nobody knows those are available. But that's coming from someone who never had the opportunity to be awarded. Oh well...

Yes, the knot is not very widely publicized.  Only the BSA is aware of it, these other organizations are not.  It is unfortunate for many worthy people in scouting.  Being a non-BSA award, there is a major disconnect in the process. 

Edited by Stosh