Proud Dad moment here (stand back, I think my buttons are gonna burst!), my son was elected by his peers to the Order of the Arrow Tuesday night. He was surprised, but he is a frequent camper who knows how to take care of himself, pitches in for the patrol, and helps out the younger scouts. Neither of us know a lot about OA beyond that it's an honor/service society, so I'm wondering if there is a phamplet, book or website available that can help him better understand OA? Thanks in advance.(This message has been edited by CubsRgr8)

Slow down proud papa, he is not an OA member yet, he the troop has selected for candidacy only. He still needs to participate in the calling out ceremony, the ordeal, and then the induction, at which point he will be an Ordeal member. He should get his OA handbok at that time.

Way to go CubsRgr8. My son was also elected by his peers two weeks ago. He doesn't know it yet, which will make it a doubly great surprise for him at the callout (this Spring Camporee). He has always been one who has never won a single election since 1st grade. It got to him for a while there! But to have the 2nd highest number of votes (I got the inside track) in the troop, made me very proud of him. I know exactly how you feel ... so congrats. Now ... to the callout, the ordeal, and the induction (I forgot ... the membership fee as well! ;) )

1Hour

ps: Bob ... I wish that you wouldn't stick a pin on someone's proud baloon like that, but celebrate with him instead. :) You're correct on the technical part of it ... of course.(This message has been edited by OneHour)

Wow! This has to be one of the few places on earth where the only thing worse than being right is being accurate.

I would hope that CubsRgr8 is proud of his son regardless of what I or anyone else posts, so dont be quick to assume I burst his balloon or anything else.

I was trying to help him understand the process and clarify what seems to be his impression that his son is as he wrote elected by his peers to the Order of the Arrow.

It would be like Kerrys dad (I have no idea if he is around so please dont write me about his dad) being excited that his son is now President of the United States. He isnt yet, he still has the calling out by his party at their convention, the ordeal of the election and his installation at the inaugural ceremony before he can say that.

The same holds true for the OA . At this point CubsRgr8s son has won a primary. He has an excellent chance to be a member but lots of scouts who are nominated never become members.

CubsRgr8 said his knowledge was limited I was simply trying to help him understand the process.

Congratulations to his son on his nomination.

"Pop!!!!" ;)

Sorry Sctldr, the Jumpstart feature won't work without a password, and he'll need the OA Handbook to get the password, and he can't get the handbook until . . . . oh well, you see where this is going.

Congratulations to your son CubsRgr8. The advice you received about the OA website is good and it should answer many of your son's questions for now -- the rest will have to wait until after his Ordeal. All in good time, all in good time.

Another good idea would be to check and see if your local lodge has a website.

YIS

My statement to Bob White was uncalled for and for that I apologize to ya, Bob. I and everyone else know that you meant well and with great intentions. Your insight and knowledge are still being appreciated and well-received.

CubsRgr8, send our hardy congrats to your son if he knows about his election already.

1Hour

Bob,

I'm not sure of how CubsRgr8's son's Troop handles their OA procedures, but it sounds like he's already been "called" out. How else would he have been "surprised."

Your comment, "but lots of scouts who are nominated never become members," is true, but CubsRgr8's son has been elected and/or called out.

Since I've been involved with our Lodge for many years, and have advised the Service Committee in that time, I've only been aware of one situation. It involved a 17 yer old who had driven to camp for his Ordeal. Sometime during the first night, he drove home. He left a note that simply said, "your secrets are safe with me." The Scoutmaster to this day doesn't know what happened.

So, if the Scoutmaster uses his

"approval" requirement wisely, only the honor Scouts will be nominated for the Troop to vote on.

And as far as your example using Kerry and the Presidential election process, it doesn't compare. The OA is not a competition.

sst3rd