Multiple Registrations

I am wondering how many of you out there are registered in more than one Scouter position and what those positions are?

I am registered both as an Assistant Scoutmaster of a troop and as an Associate Advisor of a Venturing Crew.

I appears to me that there are many Scouters who hold has least two registrations.

And I see many Scouters who are associated with units and then perform work at the district or council level as well. But I am not sure if many of them just perform services at various levels but are not necessarily registered in all of them - even if they wear the insignia of the various positions.

It's my understanding that a Scouter should wear the uniform and insignia of the position for which they are currently working when wearing the uniform. For example, as an ASM I would wear that uniform when attending my troop activities and would wear a Venturing uniform when serving as an AA in the Venturing Crew. Same thing for unit Scouters who serve at say the District Committee. In the unit they would wear the uniform of whatever unit position they hold, but when performing District activities they would wear a uniform with District insignia (some Scouters in this situation use velcro on their position insigina and just change them, but district level Scouters are not supposed to wear unit numbers) and change between red and silver shoulder loops,

Does anyone one know if there is an official BSA policy on the number or types of positions that a Scouter can be registered?

Also, is there an official BSA policy on which registered position should or must be the primary registered position? For example, if a unit leader is also registered on the District Committee, which should or must be the primary registered positions. Some districts are apparently telling district committee members that they must have their primary registration for the district position.

Some districts seem to be discouraging multiple registrations for some reason. I know of very few Scouters who serve about the unit level that are not also registered in a unit.

"It's my understanding that a Scouter should wear the uniform and insignia of the position for which they are currently working when wearing the uniform."

This is true but it often isn't the case. Not many are willing to buy a new uniform for every position.

I have a friend who is Roundtable Commissioner, Troop Committee Member and Cubmaster.

Another friend is ASM, Asst. District Commissioner, District Vice Chair, AND he sits on a Council Committee (all in that one hour a week). He has a different shirt for each position.

I hold a unit and a district position. I am primary registered in my district position. The choice is yours to make and will effect which mailings and version of Scouting Magazine you get.

I have a field uniform shirt for each of the two positions.

There are some regulations on multiple registrations. For instance; a cub leader cannot be registered in two positions in the same pack (there is an exception for the COR), a unit leader cannot be a Unit Commissioner, the Scoutmaster cannot be the Committee Chair etc.

Many district and council volunteers are multi-registered. They have an interest in the individual unit and in the welfare of the scouting community as a whole. It should be noted that many professionals are also unit volunteers.

The fewer positions you hold the better. Too many positions leads to other problems such as scheduling conflicts, conflicts of interests, and burn-out.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I'd amend BW's post to include that a unit leader SHOULD not be a unit commissioner. Also, if a unit commissioner, it should be your primary position. The reason I say this is because I know many unit commissioners who are Scoutmasters and Cubmasters. 

From Test Your Commission Knowledge

The greatest hazard to effectiveness of a commissioner is:

a. Taking on non-commissioner related Scouting positions.

b. Drinking too much coffee at commissioner meetings.

c. Giving top priority to a troop that lost its Scoutmaster.

d. Failing to earn the Arrowhead Award.

(Answer is obviously a.)

I think what BW meant is that a unit leader can't also be a unit commish for his own unit. I know that sounds like it should be intuitive, but I'm sure there are some out there who would see absolutely nothing wrong with it...

KS

KS,

I don't think there is a formal prohibition against being commissioner for your own unit. I know too many people who do this. I don't think it is a good idea, and if a commissioner program is being run properly, it should be discouraged, if not prohibited, at the district level.

Currently registered as an ASM in the Troop and Committee Member of Pack 1 and a member of the District Camping Committee.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

P.S. I thought the answer was b! Dang!(This message has been edited by evmori)

Acco,

Thank you for the kind offer to amend my post but that will not be needed since my original post was correct as evidenced by the official BSA resources on Commissioning. This particular quote is from the BSAs national Commissioner's Website at http://www.scouting.org/commissioner/home.html

Commissioners must not be registered simultaneously as unit leaders. Some commissioners may be registered on a unit committee because they have a son in the unit or because of previous personal history in the unit, but their principle Scouting obligation should be with commissioner responsibilities. Commissioners may be currently registered in only one commissioner position.

That fact that you know scoutmasters and cubmasters who are unit commissioners does not make them right. You can find current leaders doing any number of things wrong, that does not mean they are correct in doing them.

The rule is very clear.

Bob

BW,

Regarding dual registration as a commissioner and a unit leader:

This is the first time I have seen that stated so starkly. Is this a new policy? If this is the policy, who is enforcing it? A great many people I know are registered as both a commissioner and as a unit commissioner somewhere. I had always understood that you could be registered as a commissioner and a unit leader simultaneously. Apparently this is not correct.

One wonders how many people would drop out of the commissioner role if this were truly enforced.

Looks like about 15 of our 33 commissioners, including our District Commissioner and 4 ADC's will have to decide if they want to be Commissioners or Unit Leaders.

I am currently registered as an ASM, Cub Pack Committee, District Committee and ADC, but it looks like this must change.

Bob White:

What is the definition of a "unit leader"? Is that the Scoutmaster or does it include Assistant Scoutmasters? And I consider the Troop Committee "unit leaders" as well as they are the "board of directors" of the troop.

I do believe that no commissioner should be the commissioner for a unit that they are registered in. Just doesn't gel with me, regardless of any policy.

I know if very few volunteers at district or council level who are not also registered as volunteers in units. Sometimes as Scoutmasters, ASMs, Committee Members, etc. After all, the program is for the youth, the roots of the movement is in the unit not at the district level and above, and many prefer to maintain and spend fair amounts of time with the units - which I believe is as it is should be.

What about District (and Council, etc) committee members? We are being TOLD, that if you are on the District Committee, our primary registration MUST be with the district. Now they will allow those who do not want to do that to "help" with the District Committee, but will not register them as such. I know of no official requirement for District Committee members to be primarily registered with the district. There are those that believe that they can recruit the large number of people needed to be commissioners and district committee members that will/are not registered with units. I say good luck to that - I doubt it will ever happen. Oh there are a few that I know of, but again, most are registered with units.

All I know is that there are some very fine Scouters out there who will no longer even assist at the district level because of this. And the district suffers because of it.

Owl62, In our District the District Chairman, Assistant Dist Chair, Dist Commissoner, Dist Training Chair and some of the members are SM. More are ASM and some are just registered to the District.