Scouts and Scouters injured in two vehicle crash involving Troop Trailer

I apologize for my earlier flip behavior. I don't see why they don't leave it in both places. I have seen how it really can be a dangerous practice easily avoided with a little good planning (map, GPS coordinate, everyone's phone numbers.) Especially dangerous since sometimes folks are driving vehicles pulling different loads and stopping distances. 

I apologize for my earlier flip behavior. I don't see why they don't leave it in both places. I have seen how it really can be a dangerous practice easily avoided with a little good planning (map, GPS coordinate, everyone's phone numbers.) Especially dangerous since sometimes folks are driving vehicles pulling different loads and stopping distances. 

Yah, just depends, eh?   I hear what you're sayin', and I agree with you for drivin' through town or on the highway.  Discourteous too.  In town or on the highway in most cases help from neighbors and strangers is ready to hand.

At the same time, lots of us live in states with remote areas and winter, eh?  :eek:   Spots where phone reception is poor or nonexistent, GPS reception not great (or digital maps not accurate), road signage minimal, and most importantly help is not near at hand.   There are times when stickin' together is da safest practice, because yeh need buddy vehicles if yeh get into trouble, and because nuthin' messes up a campout like havin' one car that doesn't show because it's lost (with three young kids and only one adult) and yeh don't know if they're wrecked. 

After all, we can say da same thing for hiking, eh?  Everybody on your own with a little planning, maps, GPS, and phone numbers... just meet up at certain points.  Dangerous to stick together; can lead to roughhousing and misbehavior, plus lads hike at different paces with different tolerance for hard trails.   Hiking is actually safer than driving, yet we insist on da buddy system and Rule of 4.   Same thing for paddling... just meet up at certain points; dangerous to stick together, different boats and ability levels and speed, what happens if an inexperienced boat follows an experienced one too closely down a harder route on da river, etc.  And still we use buddy boats or da Rule of 3 on the water, and....

So I was glad that @@RichardB dropped this from G2SS before we had a case in the news of car full of kids lost and freezing somewhere, and everyone wonderin' why the rest of the group had left 'em on their own.  

Best to trust to the judgment of the adults in the field.  IMNSHO da rough guide should be somethin' like "If there's traffic and lots of other folks around, be courteous and don't caravan.  If there's not, be safe and do... at least in small groups of 2-4 vehicles.

Beavah

Winter? Is that when it is cool enough to go outside?

No, that's when the wheels of the troop trailer are frozen into the ground and when one hooks up to tow it someplace, all four wheels on your 4-wheel drive pickup spin their wheels on the ice.  Then one starts cursing because they have to go back out and unhook everything with numb fingers in order to reclaim the truck to go home.

• Upvote 1

I saw snow once...it was very wet. 

Nah, real snow is dry.   Too cold out for it to get wet.

I reckon the best campin' is when yeh can fling your cup of hot coffee into the air and it comes down as caffeinated snow.  :eek:   Now that's real fun for all!

B

To take this back on subject, this link is to a message from the Troop Committee Chair, and shows how awesome the community around Bonduel is and how other Scouts and Scouters jumped into action to help this Troop out over the weekend:  http://racineuncovered.org/2016/07/boy-scout-troop-225-involved-in-accident-thanks-the-bonduel-community-everyone/