After 75 years, 94yr old Scoutmaster retires and disbands troop

It's a shame a troop with that much history must disband just because the SM is stepping down.  I guess they never developed a transition plan over those 75 years.  Not the legacy I want to leave with I step down as SM. 

That said, congrats on his long career as a scouter and providing guidance to so many.   

DDR  

• Upvote 1

It's a shame a troop with that much history must disband just because the SM is stepping down.  I guess they never developed a transition plan over those 75 years.  Not the legacy I want to leave with I step down as SM. ...

The same happened with my troop. SM was a tough act to follow.

It's much easier to start a new troop with a different CO.

I've since met some "next generation" scouts from my home town, and they are coming up strong and good. So, it kind of balances out in the long run.

It's the same in other professions.  Long tenures make it very difficult for someone to follow.

A young man came out seminary and started and served his entire career in a church in California.  The next pastor was there for 2 years and left.  The next pastor came and served until he was 75.  That two year pastor was frequently talked about and the consensus was how shabbily they had treated him.  There are not that many churches out there that can say that in their 100 years of existence they have only had 4 pastors, one of which only was there for 2 years.

It's not so much a testimony of any one of the tenured leaders, it's a testament of how well a group can survive a beloved leader.  Some simply can't do it.