May we please return now...

If you will look at the last 24 hours of posts, 9 of the 22 different threads are in the Issues and Politics section!

This is a Scouting forum, may we please return to Scouts??

Just wanted to remind everybody the "cause" because you must remember that there are actual Scouts who post here too, not just adults.

Thank you

So, what aspects of Scouting do you want to discuss?

There is such a great diversity of thoughts and ideas here at any one time. It is funny because some of the issues that we talk about appear to find solutions. I wonder if things are being set right by our talk. I guess if enough people from different places get clued into good answers, it might really work.

I still can't figure out why after a person has answered a question, many times the same thing is said again and again. It is like echo answers. With the thumbs up/down approach, it should have reduced the background noise of people voting for or against a certain issue by writing their answers but it hasn't.

Scouting...

Have you ever been sitting next to a campfire late at night and thought that it is where you are supposed to be for the rest of your life? With the smoke and the wood and ash, sometimes I have felt a part of the experience so much that I really didn't want to be anywhere else ever again.

It was a Saturday night in March of 1967 and I had gone to Lake Texoma Scout Camp for my Vigil. The Camp was later decommissioned and sold. There is nothing left of the place or of that time but it actually happened and now there are few traces.

I was tired as I sat by my fire. I had little wood and decided to get more nearby. I cut a few pieces from a fallen tree and disturbed a nest of bees. Since it was night, they didn't come after me but I knew they were there. I got the wood and continued to feed the fire.

The night was without incident, other than the ceremonial experiences that followed. I simply sat by the fire and thought about Scouting and my time spent in so many phases of it. The experience was very ordinary but something happened. As I think back on it, it is as if I am still there.

This forum reminds me of that experience by the fire. I think about my past and the people and the things that we did together. I think about the present and dream of the future. I know that there is more to life than Scouting but this program is so rich and has so much that I just want to remain by the fire.

Thanks for the reminder Hops-Scout.

At times I wonder why the Working with Kids section isn't the one with the most postings??

After all most of those in the forum do work with or for the youth that are in the programs.

I really enjoy the posts from people who are good at some part of the outdoor program and who share their insight on equipment and "How to".

Some little time back Bob White asked a few forum members to give their take on different styles of leadership and then post them for all to see. I thought this was a neat idea and a great use of the forum.

Then there was the backpacking list with all the weights. I for one learned a lot.

There is a few that post in these forums that are a real royal pain in the neck and in my view do little or nothing to add to the forum. While they may have every right to voice what ever it is that they want too. I live in the hope that they will get bored and move on. One such poster has had the sheer arrogance to post that he thinks that I have learned something from the absolute gobbledygook that he has posted. I have decided to take plenty of no notice. My fear is that if I do take notice that I will end up being a lot less then polite to him. Which is not the example that I would like to set for you.

You might do well to read some of the quotations that this guy is posting. I feel sure that there is wisdom in there if you look hard enough. I have to admit to no longer reading them but then I don't read a lot of the stuff about politics that is posted.

Your participation and the participation of the other younger set in the forum is to my mind nothing less then super. I enjoy hearing what you along with the other Scouts and Venturers have to say. While I do have a very strongly opinionated Lad of 15, that at times sleeps in my house (When he isn't away camping!!) It is nice for me to hear what you guys have to say.

Thank you.

Eamonn

I'm going to pull a Foggy :)

Check out forums start page and you will see:

Issues & Politics

In answer to many requests, we established a separate forum for these topics. Those not interested can skip this forum instead of spending time reading unwanted messages to identify content.

As for camping I hope to get back in the woods in a few weeks.

I'm going to pull a Foggy :)

Check out forums start page and you will see:

Issues & Politics

In answer to many requests, we established a separate forum for these topics. Those not interested can skip this forum instead of spending time reading unwanted messages to identify content.

As for camping I hope to get back in the woods in a few weeks.

Eammon I'd like to join you in the land of 'Take plenty of no notice'

Seems like one of the more appropriate actions I've seen lately.

And Hops you have to decide where to invest your time; I don't often find that the 'Issues and Politics' forum adds much to my life...

And I also enjoy the new ideas that our youth bring to the table

I haven't been around much lately one the board - Been too busy job hunting and scouting almost every weekend!but it's always great to get back among friends - as I feel so many of you are...

I do tend to ignore the 'issues' board - I'm not in scouting for the arguments - but for my son, the boys I love and my own sanity. Despite some of the headaches involved in working with a volunteer organization (mostly created by the adults! ;-) NOT the boys! ) I always find my reward in just being with the boys in whatever they are doing. Being along for the ride while they grow and learn and mature - Aren't we lucky to be a part of this?

Fuzzy Bear - I can really relate to

"Have you ever been sitting next to a campfire late at night and thought that it is where you are supposed to be for the rest of your life? With the smoke and the wood and ash, sometimes I have felt a part of the experience so much that I really didn't want to be anywhere else ever again. "

Campfires are magical. and they don't necessarily have to be 'campfires' to evoke those feeling and memories. For me, where ever I am or whatever I am doing, whatever stresses I am facing, or how far removed from nature I am at the time - the smell of woodsmoke, the call of a redwing blackbird, or a loon, a gentle roll reminiscent of a floating canoe or dock, the smell of musty canvas or coleman fuel -dozens of things - can take me instantly back to "Home" - the many hours I spent camping with my family, scout troop, summer camp and later, with my son and his friends. all those memories and feelings rolled into one; a sense of comraderie, peace and contentment.

It is a feeling that most scouts and scouters share, and a legacy to pass on to future generations.