Charter agreement question

Go to solution Solved by blw2,

We give them an annual inventory and an annual "audited" financial statement. We also give them a monthly treasurer's report. They may not read it, but it helps show our trustworthyness.

We do the audit with our CO so try can see the everything. When we pass with flying colors gives them more reassurance we do things well.

Edited by Krampus

The CO gives us zero funds. A clean warm building with plenty of storage space and an industrial kitchen is plenty.

If they want a report it's up to the COR to relay it. They are perfectly fine with each unit having its own checkbook and accountability. They loan us our tax ID so we can do just that.

When our boys merged with another troop, we left a small part of our treasury to the CO. They are still letting the troop have access to the storage, and would like us to use their building for their annual fundraiser.

sorry, don't have time to read some of the long replies here

But I'll chime in quickly

I've recently been doing a fair bit of research around this, having been asked to become the troop treasurer

I find a lot of unofficial/anecdotal recommendations, guidelines, or what have you that all basically indicate what I'm guessing others have posted already.  Some of it is official from the bsa side,

BUT...

everything I have seen to date gives the out to the CO, saying basically that this is the suggestion, but it's up to the CO.

Basically, I found that the folks in the church office think that the troop is "owned" by the BSA

I'm guessing, but it seems that this might at least partially come from what seems like a bad practice.... some time long ago, it's been set up so that the troop stands alone.  Nothing financial or otherwise is every seen by the church office.  My bet is that a lot of units are set up that way.

The most logical way I've seen it explained is still anecdotal

but it goes like this -  the troop's assets are owned by the co

the troop manages these assets

and if the troop ever folds, it's the committee's responsibility to use said assets to settle any debts, then whatever is left goes to the co

What I'm working moving forward, is to make the church's address the troop's in the eyes of the bank, so that statements go to the church

and I figure I will need to send periodic reports to them

No doubt lots of questions will be raised when they see the volume of dollars going through

This isn't the answer I wanted, but it is really helpful. It makes sense that the charter agreement would be silent on this point, because there are many troops already operating where finances are separate from the CO. Thanks blw2.