new to all this and going to be cubmaster

hi everyone im lisa and from pa and love this site. i have gotten so many questions answered. im glad they have a place like this. has anyone got any suggestions on how to get the parents more excited. the boys are but the parents just are like ho hum. and one other question is it ok for me to be the cubmaster and the ass. leader to the bears? they need an ass. for next year and no one else wants to fill in.

Lisa, glad you decided to take the plunge! You'll not regret it, I am sure! There's a lot of fun in store for your pack!

Yes, you can be both CM and a DL simultaneously. It's not the preferred option, but if there aren't enough volunteer parents around, it's better than having a den - or the pack - without a leader. I did it for 3 or 4 months and was then able to convince my Asst DL to take over. He did a super job.

Welcome. Scouting is really fun for the boys and the adults that get involved. Glad you are jumping in.

What Trevorum said. I was a CM and DL for 4 years. It does take a toll, but it can be done.

As CM (and DL), your primary concern is the scouts - make it exciting and worthwhile for them. The parents are secondary. Those that are thinking about getting involved will hopefully see how much fun you are having and join you. Those that don't care, may never care no matter what. As CM, part of your job will be identifying those parents that are 'in fun' or appear willing to help and then reeling them in.

Best of luck to you.

Welcome, 625, and good luck!!

Remember to have fun and help the boys have fun while they're learning.

Since you have to learn on the fly, I suggest starting with the Cub Scout Leader Book - and of course, the boys' handbooks. There are other great resources but these are the best for steep learning curves. As CM, you'll be partly responsible for future planning, so the next best resource is Program Helps. And, of course, look to get yourself and your Pack leaders trained as quickly as convenient.

On to your parent involvement thoughts: Each Cub rank has many requirements that are family-based. Take the time necessary to figure out which ones those are and share with the parents. For example, for Wolves, the following Achievement requirements are "Family-Based": 3a-c, 4a-e, 6a, 7a-b, 8b-e, 9a-c, 10a-g, 11a-d, 12a. When parents understand how family focused our program is, they see the need to get involved with their own son's Scouting adventure. For many, it's a short step from there to helping out the Den and Pack, as well.

Look into the Family Award program - it's another good tool for hooking families into the process!

BTW, ADL is a MUCH better job title abbreviation for Assistant Den Leader!! ;)

Enjoy!!

jd

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Lisa,

The only way you are going to get more help is to ASK someone, That's how I got involved. But really I wanted to be involved in how my sons were going to enjoy their scouting adventure. You will have a better retainment of scouts in your pack if other parents get involved. The boys will see their parents helping out and will keep their intrest. I am not forcing my boys to stay in scouting but because they see me as a former Tiger Coach, Wolf & Bear Leader, Webelos Leader, Cubmaster, Asst. Scoutmaster and now Scoutmaster they see how much I love scouting and are learning commitment.

If you need help with ideas for pack meetings, go to your district roundtable and program preview to find out what the monthly themes are.

The reason no one wants to fill in is because you are taking care of it. You have to chose one postition or the other. Tell the parents they need to step up and they will get help from you not the other way around.

Good Luck.