My Last B&G Marathon day!

Yipee!

Yesterday, I sat through what will probably be my last marathon day of

Scout Sunday Mass / B&G Banquet / AOL ceremony / Crossover Ceremony / Pack Meeting / that is really only about Farewell to the WEBELOS (pause for deep breath)

My son is now officially a member of the troop!

Also a member of the last 'graduating class' of Arrow Of Light AWARD recipients.

I regret that I was not persuasive enough in my time as ACM and CM to start a shift in this thinking for the future families of the pack.  Oh how I wanted to at least start on the path of separate events.

at least move the AOL ceremony to whenever they actually earn it (maybe now that AOL is a rank, it will be an easier thing to swallow)

Anyway, it's done.  I am proud to have been involved in the Cub Scouting journey of these 6 boys, as well as those that did not stick it out.  Hopefully they all can look back a long time from now, to some happy memories.

After we listened to lots of speeches, ceremony scripts, and so on....I pulled the group aside right before they crossed the rope bridge, and quietly told them very simply,  "It was an honor, and I hope that each of them will go on to become First Class Scouts..... & I don't mean the rank..."  

I figure they don't understand what i meant fully, but I hope they will some day think... "oh, now I understand what he meant!"

• Upvote 4

Yipee!

Yesterday, I sat through what will probably be my last marathon day of

Scout Sunday Mass / B&G Banquet / AOL ceremony / Crossover Ceremony / Pack Meeting / that is really only about Farewell to the WEBELOS (pause for deep breath)

Now you can look forward to the marathon of PLC, annual planning, Scouting for Food, Scout Sunday, Webelos recruiting, Webelos crossover, summer camp planning, high adventure planning, camp out planning, equipment clean up, fund-raising (a few of these), Courts of Honor, Eagle Courts of Honor, SMCs, BORs, MB courses, trail to first class meetings, etc.

(restart heart beating)

• Upvote 1

Now you can look forward to the marathon of PLC, annual planning, Scouting for Food, Scout Sunday, Webelos recruiting, Webelos crossover, summer camp planning, high adventure planning, camp out planning, equipment clean up, fund-raising (a few of these), Courts of Honor, Eagle Courts of Honor, SMCs, BORs, MB courses, trail to first class meetings, etc.

(restart heart beating)

CLEAR!!!! aed.jpg

Edited by Sentinel947
  • Upvote 1

I feel your pain, held my last den meeting tonight.  5 great years with these boys since they were 6....I tried to make it special and grown up by teaching them wilderness survival techniques and fire making techniques.....  Was very hard to have them walk out of the door of my house knowing that I will only see them at Blue and Gold for half of them that are going to a different troop.  I was their den leader, cub master, committee chair, and friend....

• Upvote 1

They may walk out the door of your house, but not your life.  Just heard last Sunday one of my boys just got a job with the local police department, another one had a new baby.  Last Friday I was out eating birthday dinner with my son when a gentleman approached me and reintroduced himself, his wife, his son to me.  He was a youth from a different troop on my contingent to Philmont in 2000 and remembered me.  Until that Friday, we hadn't seen each other for over 15 years but he remembered me and remembered me by name.  I remembered him by name as well.  He of course had a beard and I wouldn't have been able to pick him out of a lineup if my life depended on it.  All that in one week, a typical week for me.  I have a ton of not-so-young-anymore "kids" that still play a part in my life.  One never knows the impact they make in the lives of these boys (or kids, my church youth group kids still keep in touch too.)