Well, okay, but the DC is an ASM in my troop. So, for all intents and purposes, no UC. But my DE likes talking to me and does know scouts, so I'm good with it. The sad thing is I talk to my DC and just hear horror stories of the types of problems they deal with. Boy led is something they dream of talking about. More like finding a SM, kids smoking weed (oh wait, that was my troop), tons of pissed off parents, parents that won't participate, the occasional drunk scouter, rechartering, Eagle project nightmares, wrecked canoes, the list goes on.

Makes me wonder what the unit leads are doing.

My unit went to camp. Some young scouts tried to see how many paddles for the canoes would float (plastic ones that sank if you dunked them too much) if they continued to push them under water. Lost 8 paddles so we had to pay. We met with the parents when we got back and told them their scout would have to pay for the lost paddles. Only 1 parent complained. When I asked them if we could borrow THEIR canoe on the next camp out they realized they were being silly. All the boys paid back the camp and put in 10 volunteer hours in addition. Crime meets punishment, er, learning opportunity.

I can't help but think if more parents held their kids accountable and let the program work, UCs/DCsDEs would have more time to do the work they should be doing. Preaching to the choir, I know.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few random thoughts ...    - BSA training is introductory at best.  Maybe Woodbadge has more depth.  Otherwise, comments about who is trained really just reflect who cared enough to take the first

I got asked to be a UC. I sidestepped that job. I've only been an adult for 4 years. To dive cold into another units traditions, politics, finances and troubles sounded like hell on earth. Then multip

I wonder if that one word:  Eagle  - has anything to do with it.