Guidance tech is awesome, but it pays to be a Luddite in that and other areas, for example ...

Every now and then I grab my espresso pot without checking that it has all five parts.

This is especially embarrassing when we have a bunch of Webelos dads to entertain. (Not that someone else wouldn't bring along their crap coffee, but it's important for new parents to make a fully informed decision about their troop ;) )

Well, my fallback was Arabic coffee, which with a patrol kit coffee pot, wrap for insulation, patience, and very steady hand (grains float freely then settle to the bottom ... the trick is keeping them there), can brew up quite nicely in the wild.

It payes to know first principle thermodynamics.

Gotta learn how to make egg coffee.  Thicker than tar, don't drink after 3:00 pm or you'll never sleep that night, but it beats out a cup of store-bought Starbucks any day.  And it can be made on any campfire in the country.

• Upvote 1

In this day and age of high tech equipment, LED lighting, solar rechargeable cell phones, STEM, EDGE, S.M.A.R.T. GPS, velcro where's the future of scouting headed? 

When the power grid go out and the last drop of fossil fuel is used up in the generator, what's left in our society?

12507328_513135412202163_381098832778255

I have a map like that on my smartphone. 

• Upvote 1

@@Stosh,

The accuracy of the information you receive can actually be tied to your device, the performance of your device (e.g., Do you have a bunch of other apps open competing for location services?

I have to agree with Krampus on this one.  I guess I am a GenXer but I love my GPS on my IPhone via Google maps.  This is NOT what I would use if I was hiking or anything outdoors, however we are talking about driving to one place via gps.  Hands down great experience all the time.

Gotta learn how to make egg coffee.  Thicker than tar, don't drink after 3:00 pm or you'll never sleep that night, but it beats out a cup of store-bought Starbucks any day.  And it can be made on any campfire in the country.

I wanna hear more about this Egg Coffee!