Robert Dick Douglas; DE

No doubt your efforts helped.

"Yes, a scout salute to Mr. Wallace.  I am still waiting to see National acknowledge Robert Dick Douglas Jr. of Greensboro, who is also an Eagle and will be 103 in July.  He also is one of the Eagle's that went to Africa in 1928, as well as having gone to Alaska twice.  He wrote books about the Alaska adventures, and co-authored Three Boy Scouts in Africa.

I have given the info to National a couple of times, after speaking with his son last year, who said he was still mentally active.  He sent me a copy of his auto-biography last year, and it is very interesting and includes a good deal related to Scouting.  He wrote it when he was 90.  It can be found in digital form on line; https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Best_90_Years_of_My_Life.html?id=H5o1F2AXTioC&hl=en . "  - skeptic May 23, 2015

• 2 months later...

Sad news

"Robert Dick Douglas Jr., who joined the Boy Scouts on his 12th birthday in 1924 and by 17 had shot a lion on safari in Africa, hunted whales and grizzly bears in Alaska and written two books on his adventures, died on Wednesday in Greensboro, N.C. He was 103 and one of the nation’s oldest Eagle Scouts."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/26/us/robert-d-douglas-jr-eagle-scout-elder-dies-at-103.html?_r=0

Sorry to hear of his passing.

I am changing the title of this thread to delete the word "Finally", which was a reference to him getting the Distinguished Eagle award. It is obvious to regular readers that that was written before this gentleman passed away, but newer readers might be startled to see that word in a thread that has now become about his passing, so I think it is best to remove it.

• Upvote 1