• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF something happened at the Laser tag place, enroute or on way home, you may be confronted witha situatution where BSA would not cover you. This would open you and all the other leaders up to personnal liability. Is that fair to the other leaders?

The big issue is you now know that this event is banned by the BSA. So is this in keeping with the Scout Oath and Law that we as Adult leaders subscribe to? Then what happens when when one of your scouts breaks a rule?

My personnal feeling is I see nothing wrong with laser Tag or Paintball. I have taken my son and his friends to both, most are troop members too, but he arranges it outside of troop time and we don't advertise it as a troop event.

Most likely nothing bad would happen at all. Though there is a risk someone gets hurt and you are left open to liability for paying the kids medical bills or something. Another possibility is that council could get a bit cranky if they find out. What exactly the council could do, I don't really know, other than pulling your charter, which they probably wouldn't do. There is also the possibility that other leaders and parents may question the leadership of the troop for engaging in a banned activity.

Now by asking this, you open up the option of all of us debating the issue of laser tag being banned. I think most people here remember my position on this matter.

Since you have determined that laser tag is banned, you should not support the activity. You should make others aware that the activity is banned, and encourage cancelation of the activity.

Several troops around here make an annual laser tag or paintball event. They're just starting to find out (usually after the fact), about the change in the G2SS rules. It demonstrates the importants of the adult leaders to stay current on the BSA safety rules. nldscout is correct, if something happens on the event, you and the other adult leaders could be held liable. It's best to stay away, as a troop or patrol activity, that is.

(I, too, have no problem with either activity. I don't necessarily agree with the policy, but I'll adhere to it.)

And of course, the very awkward position that publicly straying from the G2SS would put one in, is the position of trying to enforce a G2SS rule later, on a Scout or Scouter who knew that the laser tag one was knowingly disregarded. That's a much more likely outcome than an accident or incident during the outing...

KS

And why must this be a Troop activity again? Why can't you just go as a group of friends...

The only concern I have is whether it can still somehow be construed as a troop activity. Maybe one of the legal eagles or rule experts can give us some guidance. Hypothetically, let's say a troop always went to laser tag on a particular day, say Groundhog Day. This year, since it's against the G2SS, they did not do the activity. However, most of the boys in the troop still got together and went to laser tag on Groundhog Day. In fact, only members of the troop were invited to this informal event. They even talked about it informally at troop and patrol meetings. But, the PLC in no way coordinated it, nor did the troop endorse it. No uniforms were worn. No tour permit was given. If something were to happen, would the troop be in a tough situation? With the right lawyer (on the plantiff side), I would say it's possible.

I really like Korea's point regarding later enforcement of a G2SS (or any other) rule. It certainly puts you in an awkward situation.

So, I am confused, which is in no way a singular event. So what we are saying is if my son has a birthday party, and wants to go paintballing (another no-no under G2SS) and he invites all his friends and only members of the Troop and Crew show up, we have to cancel because it might be interpreted as a scouting event?

OGE - Not at all, under the circumstances you laid out. I'm talking about a troop that always did it as an "official event" and not continue to do it "unofficially" in order to get around G2SS. I've heard some rumbling about that locally, and got a sense of that from some of the earlier posts.

OGE,

There is a troop nearby that does Paintball as an "unofficial" troop activity. They plan it at troop and PLC meetings. The collect money at troop. They say on Permission slips"This is NOT a Troop Activity"

If something happened this would give the lawyers a field day. If its just your son's friends and they happen to be all scouts, so what. The last time my son and friends did that, they were all troop members but 1. They polanned it at home, not at meetings.

Well, FOG, you know just because something hasn't happened is no reason to think it might not. You never can tell when there may be a freak accident with the laser tag equipment. Something like a bolt a lightening coming through the building, hitting the laser device while someone is trying to tag someone, causing a power surge, and vaporizing the poor victim instead of tagging them; is just the sort of thing that BSA must protect us from.

Proud Eagle, me thinks you watched GhostBusters just a few times too many. FOG, you caught my curiosity...has anyone EVER been killed playing laser tag? I'm not talking about an old guy like me croaking from a heart attack either.

I know this is off topic but this is really bad and I need serious help, quick:

So there I was, sitting in my living room having fun on the forum...when a tell-tale aroma wafted through the room. Nope, it wasn't a family member, at least not a two-legged one. Our dog just proved that dogs are REALLY stupid. She was just sprayed by a skunk - for the second time.

I could really use some help with ideas on the best way to mitigate this situation. The dog is going to spend the night out, she is really too ripe to get near - maybe tomorrow. Is anything effective, really, at clearing the air..so to speak? The smell is quickly filling the whole house.

Edited part: Holy Toledo, it's so strong that the smell is actually painful. I poked my head out long enough to ask the dog how she's doing. She said, "Ruff!"(This message has been edited by packsaddle)