Pickup (During Camp) Authorization Form

Personally I thought this was now covered in the 4+ pages BSA health form required for camp. Anyway a parent, who had signed his son's health forms but not a separate camp Pick-up Authorization Form (sounds like movie Brazil, Brazil), needed to pick-up his son early.

What an unnecessary headache all around!

I think there's a difference between the medical form which states who MAY pick up the Scout (theoretically under emergency circumstances) and a early release form stating someone WILL pick up the Scout.  If, out of the blue, Uncle Phil shows up to pick up a Scout and I don't know anything about it, I'm going to question it.  An early release form, preferably given to me in advance by the parent, assuages those concerns.

We use a separate form that a parent completes prior to camp if a Scout has to leave property without his unit. We also copy the driver's license of the person that picks the Scout up. Two simple procedures could make the difference in a risky situation. Would you be happy if a parent that did not have custody showed up at camp and took a child? I bet the parent that did have custody would be grateful. We do not let the person into camp that is picking them up. We send a staff member to meet th unit leader and bring the Scout to the camp office. Better safe than sorry. There are creepy, desperate people out there.

Personally I thought this was now covered in the 4+ pages BSA health form required for camp. Anyway a parent, who had signed his son's health forms but not a separate camp Pick-up Authorization Form (sounds like movie Brazil, Brazil), needed to pick-up his son early.

What an unnecessary headache all around!

It could be addressed via the use of the bottom of Part A of the AHMR.    In a general, several states regulate the pick up of youth and may require a different format. Some accept the Part A inclusion.   Your mileage may vary.   

We use a separate form that a parent completes prior to camp if a Scout has to leave property without his unit. We also copy the driver's license of the person that picks the Scout up. Two simple procedures could make the difference in a risky situation. Would you be happy if a parent that did not have custody showed up at camp and took a child? I bet the parent that did have custody would be grateful. We do not let the person into camp that is picking them up. We send a staff member to meet th unit leader and bring the Scout to the camp office. Better safe than sorry. There are creepy, desperate people out there.

Tokala, can you please explain to me why you need to copy the driver's license? I've run into that before at other places and have never understood the logic. Verify the id, sure, but not make a copy, especially if it is the parent.

A parent should never be hassled when picking up their own child, barring any custody issues. Check ID, check of the scout's file, sure, a call to the scout leader, no problem. Log sheet signature and out the door.

Tokala, can you please explain to me why you need to copy the driver's license? I've run into that before at other places and have never understood the logic. Verify the id, sure, but not make a copy, especially if it is the parent.

A parent should never be hassled when picking up their own child, barring any custody issues. Check ID, check of the scout's file, sure, a call to the scout leader, no problem. Log sheet signature and out the door.

Because people are not honest. Usually copying the ID happens when they did not give us a form before camp and show up at the office wanting to take a child somewhere. At that point we don't even know if they have legal custody. Since as a camp director, you can be held liable (without BSA legal to back you up), I prefer to cover my butt.

Because people are not honest. Usually copying the ID happens when they did not give us a form before camp and show up at the office wanting to take a child somewhere. At that point we don't even know if they have legal custody. Since as a camp director, you can be held liable (without BSA legal to back you up), I prefer to cover my butt.

Right. I understand that people are not honest. I don't understand the need to copy their driver's license. I don't understand how a copy of a driver's license will help you cover your butt or do anything to protect the scout you are releasing. It doesn't give you any information on custody arrangements. If a child should not have been released to a particular person, having a copy of a DL doesn't change that. It seems better to confirm the release by calling the parent who signed the consent form and medical form, if that is not the person doing the pick up. Or contact the scoutmaster who is likely to be aware of any custody issues with his scout. I say likely, because I am constantly amazed at the information parents withhold from the people to whom they entrust their children, but that is a whole other topic. Cross verify identity with the scout.

I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand. While some may not find it a problem to hand over their DL for copying, I am reluctant as I have been through the hassle of identity theft and would strongly prefer to not have unnecessary copies around.

Right. I understand that people are not honest. I don't understand the need to copy their driver's license. I don't understand how a copy of a driver's license will help you cover your butt or do anything to protect the scout you are releasing. It doesn't give you any information on custody arrangements. If a child should not have been released to a particular person, having a copy of a DL doesn't change that. It seems better to confirm the release by calling the parent who signed the consent form and medical form, if that is not the person doing the pick up. Or contact the scoutmaster who is likely to be aware of any custody issues with his scout. I say likely, because I am constantly amazed at the information parents withhold from the people to whom they entrust their children, but that is a whole other topic. Cross verify identity with the scout.

I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand. While some may not find it a problem to hand over their DL for copying, I am reluctant as I have been through the hassle of identity theft and would strongly prefer to not have unnecessary copies around.

I agree with you that we have a lot of useless hoop jumping going on today in the name of security theater. However, in this case I think the idea is to document who is actually doing the pickup. If someone shows up and says I'm here to pickup Jimmy, I'm his Uncle Fred, he could be lying. With the DL copy, at least there is a record of who did the pickup if a problem occurs.

Edited by Rick_in_CA
  • Upvote 1